Where to purchase batteries?

I can't really find any batteries on that site with an EC3 connector.

Do you guys buy batts with other connectors and use a dongle to go back to EC3 or cut the end off and solder on your preferred connector?

I buy them from hobbyking and solder EC3s on it. The best option, but much more pricey, is to buy Venoms which come with (among others) EC3 adapters and are great batteries too!

If you're comfortable working on battery leads, then fine. Just cut one lead at a time to prevent shorting, shocking, and sparking! Seriously.

Otherwise I'd strongly suggest Venom. Good quality, their plug adaptors are super handy, and they have a good warranty and replacement policy.

I'm very comfortable in soldering so I may go down that avenue.. Doing some price shopping now as I would like to get some lipo's for our trucks..

2s battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-2s-65-130c-LiPo-pack.html
3s battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-4000mah-3s-30c-LiPo-pack.html
The connectors are above, but so you have them again: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt4mm-to-ec3-battery-adapter-2pcs-bag.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt4mm-to-ec3-battery-adapter-2pcs-bag.html
FYI, the connectors are the right connector to connect to the battery which allows you to plug into the ecx esc. They have other connectors (deans, ec5, traxxas, etc) if you need to purchase for other cars. Because I also did not want to solder, I picked these up...I would have had to buy a soldering gun/pencil solder and other tools for this job, while not really a big deal and probably should have that entire kit if I bought a good one would have set me back another 50-200 bux vs under 5 for the proper connector (I cannot emphasize enough that this is the correct connector to use). They do add some additional length though, so that may be good or bad for you.

You don't need to cut the connectors. You need to buy the adapter. They are sold separately. I will post up what I bought for xmas in a bit, works flawlessly, similar temps to my dynamite 2s.

These are the adapters you need
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt4mm-to-ec3-battery-adapter-2pcs-bag.html

No soldering needed what so ever, plug and play.
It is always best to solder on new connectors than use adapters. Adapters add resistance, resistance creates heat, you have enough resistance and those adapters will melt.

It is always best to solder on new connectors than use adapters. Adapters add resistance, resistance creates heat, you have enough resistance and those adapters will melt.
Resistance is negligible, but anytime you add any connector it adds a bit of resistance. The question becomes, what is a tolerable limit. Coating also help keep resistance down. If you ask me, the resistance added it negligible as it does not add additional heat to the connectors, lines, or battery...no more than one with soldered connectors.

I tried using one of those wireless adapters one time and the adapter at the end of the run was so hot I could not even touch it. One of these things.
male_ec3_to_female_xt60_adapter.jpg

I tried using one of those wireless adapters one time and the adapter at the end of the run was so hot I could not even touch it. One of these things.
male_ec3_to_female_xt60_adapter.jpg
Like I said, I don't have that issue. I run them on 2 of my batteries and I technically have double on one of my cars. No added heat, I can touch them at the end of the run and disconnect the batteries...they are relatively cool to the touch. Perhaps you got a bad connector.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 4
Not if you have to buy a soldering kit. A good set will cost an ok set will cost. A 5 time use set just about breaks even.

The problem with adapters is not that they add resistance by definition. The problem is that you get fake deans to cheap HXT or fake EC3 to cheap HXT or fake deans to fake traxxas or w/e, and each of these cheap connections has a melon rate of like 1/50 that will not grip properly or otherwise make poor contact.

When you have a quality battery to a quality ESC, you have 0 of these dodgy things in the chain. When you buy a cheap Turnigy battery and solder on your own quality connectors, you have 0 as well. If you use the cheap connectors on the battery with the cheap adapter, you now have 6 potential bad contacts. Your 1 in 50 failure rate for individual connectors is now a 1 in 11 failure rate for the system... If you have two or three trucks equipped this way, your odds of glitch-free running are getting kinda low even for a basher.

1:50 isn't that bad. There is a good chance that I will probably screw up an end 1 out of 50 times (human factor). I will gladly take a 2% failure rate. Novices have a higher failure rate, they eventually get better at it. if there is a 1:11 or worse per connector, I must be the luckiest guy alive and should play the lottery.

I think you were closer with a 2% failure rate per plug (regardless of which side fails, it is still 2% that the entire plug is hosed). To have one that is boogered on both ends is a fraction of a percent (it doesn't go up).

Last edited:
I was just pulling numbers out of my arse to prove that fewer connections is better because every connection is a possible failure point. Adding an adapter doubles the number of connections. There's no way to know what the actual failure rate is, but @slick2500 apparently had a bad one, and I've had a wire break inside the connector of a $10 ebay ESC, so I think 1/50 may be optimistic, lol. These things get pummeled when you're riding the rough stuff too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back