1/10 Torment 4x4 runtime with lipo

Erin.davis13

How long should my 1/10 Torment 4x4 run with a 2s, 5000mah Lipo battery? Mine seems to slow down tremendously after 5mins or less. I even bought a brand new battery thinking my battery was the problem. Same runtime! If I turn it off and right back on it will run a few minutes longer at full speed and then it slows down again. Please tell me this isn't normal.

Seems like your lvc could be the issue. (Low voltage cutoff). I don't own that specific esc, is the lvc adjustable? Another possible issue is your batteries might be to weak to keep up with the amp draw of your system, and is tripping the lvc prematurely. What kind of battery do you have? (Brand and c rating)

No, unfortunately the lvc is not adjustable. Horizon sent me a replacement esc and it is still doing the exact same thing. I have a gens ace 7.4v 50c battery. I have attached a picture of the esc box and the battery.

Have you measured the cell voltages after the truck cuts off? Is anything (motor, ESC, battery) getting hot?

Agree with above sounds like your describing lvc or overheating (thermal shutdown). Also brushed and lipo in a 4X4 seems to be a mixed bag of success and failure but mostly failure from what I have seen (motor and/or esc failure).

Unless the ESC is malfunctioning LVC (low voltage cutoff) will stop the truck, not slow it down. So something else is wrong. I've never experienced a thermal protection event but perhaps that's what you are experiencing? I ran a 2S lipo in my AMP with its terrible ESC/Rx unit (I connected a separate low volatge alarm) and while the 15T 550 motor would get scorching hot after 15-20 minutes of running at full throttle on a dirt road, the car never slowed down.

Have you checked the configuration of jumpers in the ESC? Make sure they are configured for the correct number of cells and the correct battery type. I believe it defaults to 2S LiPo if all jumpers are removed-- but confirm against the ESC instructions.

Actually, now that I think about it more, years ago I experienced very similar behavior from a NiCd battery that had failing cells. The car would drive well for a brief period and then slow dramatically. It could be that the LiPo pack you are using is defective-- one of the cells could be "bad." Can you try another battery pack?

Okay, check this out.... at this point, all electronic parts have been replaced except the servo (motor, ESC (twice!), even the transmitter and receiver). Still the same issue. As stated above, I bought a new battery and that was not the problem. So today my friend switched the jumper from LiPo to NiMH and VOILA, it ran normally!!! So it has to be some sort of cutoff that is tripping prematurely.
Next problem, he fried battery the he ran it too low (NO CUT-OFF ?). Oops!!

Glad to hear it wasn't your battery. I have a few of the same ones and they have worked great! I do put a low voltage alarm on my rigs though and set them to go off a little below storage voltage and have had no problems. I did have a similar problem with a Losi 10 SCBE and is was an overheating ESC issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back