1/10 Torment needed upgrades for a high power setup?

mattbhm

Hello everyone!

I am personally new to ECX, and I have some questions.

I just purchased a 1/10 Torment for $50 because I wanted something fun to play with. It has a GoolRC 4600kv motor.

It is too fast for it's own good. It just about flies. And I don't think the previous owner did anything to the drivetrain/suspension.

So what needs to be done? Or is this like a wait for something to break first situation?

I have driven 2 batteries through it and all that happened is a rear shock is leaking pretty good now.

Thanks!!

Well the metal gear set for the transmission is a great start. Maybe even buy the set now and install it once the stock ones strip.
Hot racing makes some nice driveshafts, SECT288X06, stocks won't last long.
A set of aluminium front hubs will prevent the shoulder screws from popping out on a crash. Hot racing or ECX brand both work well.
An all metal geared servo and the rpm servo saver eliminator will improve steering quite a bit. You can do more to make it even tighter, but as a basher, those 2 make a big difference.
A set of new tires will make a big difference. The stock ones are horrible, if you haven't noticed yet.

Well the metal gear set for the transmission is a great start. Maybe even buy the set now and install it once the stock ones strip.
Hot racing makes some nice driveshafts, SECT288X06, stocks won't last long.
A set of aluminium front hubs will prevent the shoulder screws from popping out on a crash. Hot racing or ECX brand both work well.
An all metal geared servo and the rpm servo saver eliminator will improve steering quite a bit. You can do more to make it even tighter, but as a basher, those 2 make a big difference.
A set of new tires will make a big difference. The stock ones are horrible, if you haven't noticed yet.

Thanks for the response!

Definitely looking at the metal transmission gear set. Also looking at the metal spur gear if mine strips out.

Will look at everything else you suggested!!

Any advice on shocks?

Thanks!

Well the stock shocks are fine for me. I don't race though. There's a thread here that has great shock info in it. Also great tuning tips to get the most out of it. Different vehicle but the shocks and suspension is the same. Basically the aluminium ECX brand shocks are a nice upgrade, but even the stock ones are good.
Here's his thread:
https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/converting-the-amp-mt-to-a-circuit-st-to-race.878/

Well the stock shocks are fine for me. I don't race though. There's a thread here that has great shock info in it. Also great tuning tips to get the most out of it. Different vehicle but the shocks and suspension is the same. Basically the aluminium ECX brand shocks are a nice upgrade, but even the stock ones are good.
Here's his thread:
https://www.ecxforum.com/threads/converting-the-amp-mt-to-a-circuit-st-to-race.878/

Yeah the stock shocks performed great until the one burst open.

I'll check the thread out, thanks!

I personally wouldn't spend the money on a metal spur gear. If I wanted to "beef up" the spur gear, I would install 32P spur gears from Team Associated's GT2. You would also need the slipper pads as well. Team Associated uses 3/16" (4.762mm) bearings on their older RCs. That would mean a person would have to drill the center hole out to 5mm so that it could be used on the ECX top shaft. A 32P 56T spur gear would get a person very close to a 48P 87T spur gear.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on a metal spur gear. If I wanted to "beef up" the spur gear, I would install 32P spur gears from Team Associated's GT2. You would also need the slipper pads as well. Team Associated uses 3/16" (4.762mm) bearings on their older RCs. That would mean a person would have to drill the center hole out to 5mm so that it could be used on the ECX top shaft. A 32P 56T spur gear would get a person very close to a 48P 87T spur gear.

I'll check out the TA Spur, thanks! Which pads would I need if I go that route?

What could I do to slow the car down a bit? It's a tad uncontrollable.

Do you have the program card for it? Can set the punch control to soft. If you don't, the grey one, the red one, and the black one all are the same, so get whichever one you want. I have a couple goolrc setups, one thing I don't like is the lvc. It only goes up to 3.1v. I got a few of those cheapo alarms that plug into the balance plug and set it to 3.4v.

Do you have the program card for it? Can set the punch control to soft. If you don't, the grey one, the red one, and the black one all are the same, so get whichever one you want. I have a couple goolrc setups, one thing I don't like is the lvc. It only goes up to 3.1v. I got a few of those cheapo alarms that plug into the balance plug and set it to 3.4v.

The ESC isn't an GoolRC, just the motor. When I get home this weekend I'll find the ESC. I found it once, I have since forgotten..

I'll check out the TA Spur, thanks! Which pads would I need if I go that route?

What could I do to slow the car down a bit? It's a tad uncontrollable.
The Associated #9611 slipper pads are the replacement for the discontinued #9603. There is LCF pads also.

There may come a point where you would undergear a large Kv motor too much, or run out of room on the motor mount when trying to find the right spur/pinion gear combo. I don't know what transmitter/radio you are using, but if it has end point adjustment (EPA) for the throttle, then I would just dial back the EPA until I had the maximum throttle that I was comfortable with.

All good pointers up top!

Traxxas slash 2wd ultra shocks work nice for an better suspension setup. $20 off eBay. They are still plastic, just better design and larger bore. STRC makes upgrades for them.

Wheels and tires...stay away from the stock durajunk. Tires are way too stiff.
Jconcepts
Proline
eBay knock offs.
Etc.......
Offset is the same as Traxxas. Traxxas rear wheels work well. When searching for wheels, Traxxas Slash REARS, rears. Fronts have less of an offset, so brings your overall width narrower.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back