1/18 Torment Build and Bash

Perkul8r

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this as the truck started life as a Ruckus. I loved the truck in stock form. I already knew it wasn't gonna be a fast truck, but wanted something that would be about the same as my kids's 1/18 Dromidas.

I found the ecx trucks at my lhs. I have always kinda stayed away from the cheaper rc's, that was up until my kids got theirs and I seen how good they were.

So i picked up both a Ruckus and a Torment. I like the Ruckus more at first cause of the monster truck style. It was fun. I took it to the skate park where i live and repeatedly beat it again and again. lol.

Though it didn't take long to want more speed. So i started using a Turnigy 2s 1700 mah lipo. That helped out a bit, but was still kinda slow.

One day at the LHS I decided to take the plunge and pick up my new setup.
21970906294_e872acd809_z_d.jpg

I than proceeded to tear the truck down, shim the diffs, and added 10k fluid to the rear diff, and 20k to the front diff. And added a Spektrum rx/tx.

22405718360_90f097dc41_z_d.jpg

I have taken it out a few times now and have had a ton of fun with it. Its quite a bit faster than stock, motor barely even gets hot after doing a lot of full throttle pulls, esc stays cool.

i have thought about attempting to run 3s in it, but pretty sure I'd completely destroy the drivetrain. Lol.

Here is how it sits currently. I was running some other tires on it last weekend as I didn't wanna tear up the stock ones on the rough road at my place.

23114847971_2275525a32_z_d.jpg

Grass really depends on how tall it is. With the tires I had on it, grass was a no go. But they were street tires so they were just smooth tread. I dont have a video of it running as the Torment. I have a couple when I still had it set up as the Ruckus though. I was hoping to get a video running at the track before it got to cold, but that didn't happen lol.

So far the only part I have broken is the rear body post. I had one steering link pop off after it took a cartwheel for like 3 feet lol. But I popped that back on and hasn't given me any trouble since.

Its been doing great so far. I ran it on dirt and gravel, and tarmac. I haven't gotten to test it at the skate park recently, too cold here lol. But running at my Kids's school it has been fine.

I want something smaller than can do around that off-road without snapping parts every run. I mean... scale speed that's like hundreds of mph lol

I was looking at the truck trying to figure out the every now and than noise I get that sounds like stripped gears. Once I pulled the spur cover off I checked the slipper. And I do believe that's whats causing my noise.

Nothing is broken or messed up. Its set just so loose I can set the truck on the floor and spin the spur with my hand.

Not sure I want to tighten it any as it really helps the stress on the drivetrain. However I want to tighten it to see what it can do lol.

Man, that's a hard choice! I'm always the opposite... heavy handed on the slipper, and then end up buying more drivetrain lol

I posted somewhere else where a guy had done a brushless setup in his and he left his slipper loose to. Which really helps protect the drivetrain.

I really want to try it, but really dont wanna destroy it lol. I know the Castle setup can put out a lot of torque, so that almost automatically means I will destroy something lol.

Lol i put a brushless in my slash and have the slipper tightened all the way then backed off a 1/4 turn. It will pop wheelies with good tires.

But the slash has metal diff gears and a stronger drivetrain. They come factory with a brushless setup so they are made to take it.

These little things however have plastic gears in the diffs, and most the drivetrain is plastic. So how much abuse these can take is still kinda unknown.

Next thing on my list to do is make new links for the suspension. The stock ones are wore out and sloppy. I am trying to find a couple rod ends and go from there.

I traded an old video game system for a 1/18th scale mini-T!
It's almost all aluminum! The only problem I forsee is that he bought a dynamite 7000kv combo for it... do you think that would be still off-roadable? I'm worried about the plastic spur gear... but I'm still gonna tighten up the slipper so that I can pop wheelies with it!

I traded an old video game system for a 1/18th scale mini-T!
It's almost all aluminum! The only problem I forsee is that he bought a dynamite 7000kv combo for it... do you think that would be still off-roadable? I'm worried about the plastic spur gear... but I'm still gonna tighten up the slipper so that I can pop wheelies with it!

Im running a 7800kv in a 1 18 it rockets around busting wheelies. I think that would ve to much for offroad

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back