2wd torment help?

skitz

When I hit the throttle with the truck off the ground, the wheels spin up just fine. When I set it on the ground, the right axle spins really fast and the left axle spins really slow and there is extremely slow/almost non existent forward movement. Any ideas?

Thanks

Try taking the wheel nut off and see if the hex on the shaft and in the wheel are ok. if they are, check to behind the hex by prying it off with a flat screwdriver or something similar and make sure the little tiny pin is still good and in place I’ve had problems with them cracking before if I’ve improperly installed them. Be careful because it can fall out and get lost easy. If the hex doesn’t look like a hex and is rounded off then it’s just time for upgrades.:sneaky:

Wheel hex looks good, it's aluminum ;) I just disassembled the axel on each side, everything looked okay. Spur gear isn't stripped. My knowledge of these things is limited.

I should add, they spin up fast enough for the tires to balloon when off the ground. When on the ground, the axles spin as stated above, it's just not going anywhere.

When I manually spin the spur gear, the right axle spins, the left one doesn't. Not sure if that helps.

Did you also check the inside of the rim? Kyle mentioned it, but may be you only checked the hex on the axle. The aluminium hexes will strip the wheel hex out and be fine themselves.

I did. They weren't rounded out/ground down. The wheels spin as fast as you'd expect at full throttle when off the ground. When on the ground, nothing.

They are new tires that are glued. SpeedTreads Robber tires that came pre glued. The tires are spinning up fast enough to start ballooning when off the ground. The right rear axle spins very fast when it's on the ground. The left rear axle spins very slowly when on the ground. Though the car just sits there.

If the axles are spinning and the rims aren't, and the hexes are fine, then it's got to be an issue with the pin that drives the hex. What kind of axles do you have? Some don't have a pin, they have a set screw that sits on a flat spot, if it's not on the flat spot it won't work.

I have the stock axles. The rims do spin, very very fast when held off the ground. The right rear axle spins very very fast, the left rear axle spins as a reduced speed, when off the ground. When on the ground, same thing, but the left rear axle spins slowly and the right rear axle spins quickly but there is no/very little (like millimeters) forward movement. After work I'll upload a video.

Take a good look at the right side hex on the axle, while it's on the ground under power. Should be able to see if the hex is spinning with the axle. It probably isn't, though it should. Which means the pin that goes through the axle isn't engaged into the slot of the hex. Here's a pic of the pin and hex. The pin should go inside complelty of the hex 15438835747581598033085.jpg

The pins are inside the hex nuts and the nuts are locked tight on the pins, they aren't going anywhere.

That's odd. If the hexes are on right, they would have to be spinning when the axle is spinning, which would spin the wheels. Did this just start randomly one day or did it happen after a new item was installed? Something isn't doing what it's supposed to. Hold the axle and spin the wheel by hand and see what spins and what doesn't.

Left wheel will not turn while holding the axle. Right wheel rotates with some drag, for lack of a better word, while holding the axle. Didn't install anything new. I think something is broken, I'm just not sure what.

Last edited:
It looks and sounds like your hex in the right wheel (actual wheel hex not aluminum hex) is stripped.

You can see how the shaft is rotating but the wheel is not when on the ground.

Last edited:
No dice, still the same problem. The slot where the hexes fit in on the tires looks brand new still.

Latest posts

Members online

Back