40A ESC Recall help

Bacon911

I purchased a Torment for My son at Christmas 2016, this is the first RC truck we have owned so we are noobs. I found the recall for the ESC and I received a new one, I think is 60A. Now the truck won't run off the original 1800mah lipo battery. It will run for about a min then it goes into slow mode. If I shut the ESC off then back on it rill run again for a min and do the same thing. It seems to work using my 5000mah 30C ok. Is there anyway to fix this ESC settings? It is set for lipo battery right now. The new ESC came to me and it was set up to run with no reverse. I had to take the jumper out to get reverse. Or I could use "crawl" jumper setting but either setting didn't work to run the 1800 battery. I thought this new ESC was going to fix a problem not create a new one any ideas?

Secondly the new ESC seems to operate differently than the original 40A. The original seemd to have full power until the last 15-30 seconds of run then it would go dead. The new one will go into slow mode (using the 5000mah 30c lipo 2S) where it will run that way for a few minutes before going dead. Is that how it is susposed to run?

The NiMH will sag so much under load it is instantly tripping the low voltage cutoff. You'll have to switch the ESC to NiMH anytime you wish to run that battery. I don't know your specific type of ESC but it's probably a jumper.

As soon as it goes into slow mode, it is wise to stop running that battery. The slow mode really only serves to ride it back to you, not to keep going at it until it stops completely.

For anyone following this. Using the new ESC on NIMH setting works for a few minutes using the 1800mah battery but does the same thing. It seems the new ESC uses more juice so the stock (1800mah 20C 2s) batteries wont work. The 5000mah 30C seems to work well.

Im a newbie myself maybe check the battery but if you call Horizon ask for chuck really knowledgeable about this model.

I am new to these as well and have had the same situation with the replacement ESC's...I purchased 2 Rukus 2WD at Christmas and read about the recall...Prior to the new ESC's, I was getting 15 minutes out of the 1800 LiPo's...I could not believe the difference with the new replacement ESC's...they last only 5 minutes for me..After numerous conversations with Chuck at Horrizon Hobbies, I am left with purchasing 5000 batteries.. You would think if you are sent replacement parts, that the result would be the same or better...Not a 66% decrease in run time...As I told Chuck, I wish I never turned my original ESC's in for replacement...

I am new to these as well and have had the same situation with the replacement ESC's...I purchased 2 Rukus 2WD at Christmas and read about the recall...Prior to the new ESC's, I was getting 15 minutes out of the 1800 LiPo's...I could not believe the difference with the new replacement ESC's...they last only 5 minutes for me..After numerous conversations with Chuck at Horrizon Hobbies, I am left with purchasing 5000 batteries.. You would think if you are sent replacement parts, that the result would be the same or better...Not a 66% decrease in run time...As I told Chuck, I wish I never turned my original ESC's in for replacement...

I just finished trying my new ESC that Horizon Hobby sends out to replace the recalled original ESC.. I tried Chucks advice and went to a 5000 LiPo battery.. After 9 min. 30 sec., the motor started to smoke... If this is there solution to a recalled part, They need to go back to the R&D Department and redesign the whole electrical system in these..And furthermore, I am very dissatisfied on how Chuck in "Product Support" handled this matter with me. He basically said to send everything in and we can test it..Again, with the original set up,( the original ESC's that I turned in), I was fairly pleased with the run time and performance... I am very annoyed with this experience and with the way this recall was addressed and handled by Horizon Hobby. If this is how they performed when I got them at Christmas, I would have never bought them..The guy at the shop said both ECX and Traxxas were about the same....I went with ECX....I'm starting to have buyers remorse..

I am surprised to hear you got 15 mins out of your 1800s out of the box. I only got 7-8 mins generally. But that is running thru my yard and dirt. i can get 15 mins on my 5000mah 30c and 5000 50C lipos in the same conditions...I may need to change gearing or something as the motor was pretty warm after one battery. After battery two it would burn you if you kept your finger on it. Battey wasn't warm, and the ESC wasn't warm either. If I smoke the motor I will probably go brushless. I don't see any reason to keep throwing junk $20 motors in if they don't last more than a few months at best. I am looking to get me a truck as well so my son and I can run em together. I like the ECX truck but I think I may try the HPI Jumpshot SC.
So far on the ECX I have replaced or had replaced two ESCs (one was recall), three drive shafts (the output shaft plastic u joint area kept breaking) which I upgraded to a hot racing metal one which is holding up well so far, front bumper, a motor, and probably in the near future transmission gears.
I expect to break stuff because I have a 9 year old and myself that beat on it pretty hard, so I'm not faulting the truck..except for the drive shafts. I see no reason the output shaft shaft couldn't be metal at least.

I am surprised to hear you got 15 mins out of your 1800s out of the box. I only got 7-8 mins generally. But that is running thru my yard and dirt. i can get 15 mins on my 5000mah 30c and 5000 50C lipos in the same conditions...I may need to change gearing or something as the motor was pretty warm after one battery. After battery two it would burn you if you kept your finger on it. Battey wasn't warm, and the ESC wasn't warm either. If I smoke the motor I will probably go brushless. I don't see any reason to keep throwing junk $20 motors in if they don't last more than a few months at best. I am looking to get me a truck as well so my son and I can run em together. I like the ECX truck but I think I may try the HPI Jumpshot SC.
So far on the ECX I have replaced or had replaced two ESCs (one was recall), three drive shafts (the output shaft plastic u joint area kept breaking) which I upgraded to a hot racing metal one which is holding up well so far, front bumper, a motor, and probably in the near future transmission gears.
I expect to break stuff because I have a 9 year old and myself that beat on it pretty hard, so I'm not faulting the truck..except for the drive shafts. I see no reason the output shaft shaft couldn't be metal at least.

I picked up 2 Rukus 2wd up at Christmas for my daughter and I.. She is 21 and has autism but is fairly functional.. She is kinda' rough with them and I guess I like to thrash a lot too. We have a lot of fun.. We have broke the same parts as you and hers now has HR rear axles and front suspension arms and steering knuckles which are all holding up well as you said. I stuck a decent motor and esc on hers and have a metal gear set when needed which will probably be soon...Just burned clutch up on hers...Mine needs to be upgraded now but have to wait for funds. I don't even use mine because of the ESC problem..

Maybe the 60A ESC has more aggressive punch. That would explain why your run times are worse and you smoked the motor on the LiPo...

Could get a quicrun 1060 and firebolt 15T but together they will run you like $35-$40 shipped, which is into brushless combo territory.

Maybe the 60A ESC has more aggressive punch. That would explain why your run times are worse and you smoked the motor on the LiPo...

Could get a quicrun 1060 and firebolt 15T but together they will run you like $35-$40 shipped, which is into brushless combo territory.

Maybe that is whats going on....I will look into your suggestion.. Thanks for the input..

Last edited:

My daughters Rukus with upgrades wiped out the slipper clutch and spur gear the other day. i think the stock 17 tooth pinion wasn't close enough to the spur gear.. The through holes at motor mount did not have quite enough adjustment to get the correct "gear mesh" The upgraded Tazer 2 motor runs strong and probably stripped the spur teeth. I figure 19" or 20" pinion will get it closer to the spur..I ordered a metal spur but forgot to get the 4-5 piece pinion gear assortment..Anyway, while waiting for the metal spur gear and slipper clutch assembly, I let her use my stock set-up with 2nd motor, and the motor smoked after 8-9 minutes with the 5000 mAh LiPo.. I had a 3rd and last stock motor to slap on it, and it too has a hard time getting the gears to mesh close enough..Seems like the elongated through hole for adjustment could have been a little wider for more adjustment ...I am looking forward to get mine upgraded as well. In the mean time, I can read what a lot of you are using for motor upgrades...I put a Tazer 2 on my daughters but then realized that if the ESC or the motor goes, I have to replace the whole thing because the ESC in built into the motor. So far after 2 weeks ,it is still running strong.. I was thinking about one of those linexsis 4000 motors and ESC. I would prefer to get something that plugs in and goes without a bunch of wire mods or programing. that's how the Tazer 2 is.Very simple. Any advice would be appreciated..

Last edited:
I cant help to feel terrible about leading you in the wrong direction with Chuck.I beginning to wonder if ECX what the right choice. The truck has been down more then up.I wish these rcs would just run cant help but to feel as though i stepped in wrong direction.

I know the feeling. I had a time when I felt the same way about my Amp, it was more down than up. My gremlins were electronics, driveshafts and the spindle block shoulder screws.

But you have to be realistic. You buy these vehicles for $130 or $180, but it's impossible to get a full package RTR for that price. Something's gonna give out. At least the chassis are really awesome for the price. A robust vehicle with the performance of the Amp or Ruckus, a charger, LiPo and electronics are $250 of kit, and you are gonna pay it one way or another. They way they played it is to get you hooked so you don't mind spending some on repairs. It's just too bad their 60A ESC is a complete lemon from the looks of it...

I know the feeling. I had a time when I felt the same way about my Amp, it was more down than up. My gremlins were electronics, driveshafts and the spindle block shoulder screws.

But you have to be realistic. You buy these vehicles for $130 or $180, but it's impossible to get a full package RTR for that price. Something's gonna give out. At least the chassis are really awesome for the price. A robust vehicle with the performance of the Amp or Ruckus, a charger, LiPo and electronics are $250 of kit, and you are gonna pay it one way or another. They way they played it is to get you hooked so you don't mind spending some on repairs. It's just too bad their 60A ESC is a complete lemon from the looks of it...

You’re right.We do thrash them pretty hard…I put the metal spur gear, metal gear set and new slipper clutch on my daughters and it hasn’t broke down in 2 weeks..Knock on wood..Even though the recall has been a huge pita, it is really fun running them and I like working on them especially when upgrades are involved…Last night I just ordered upgrades to match my daughters and I kinda want to forget about sending it back to see whats messed up with the ESC and just install the upgrades like I did hers.. But its the principal…They should make good of their product…

Maybe they didn't resolve the problem honestly

The NiMH will sag so much under load it is instantly tripping the low voltage cutoff. You'll have to switch the ESC to NiMH anytime you wish to run that battery. I don't know your specific type of ESC but it's probably a jumper.

As soon as it goes into slow mode, it is wise to stop running that battery. The slow mode really only serves to ride it back to you, not to keep going at it until it stops completely.

do you live in Pa.?

Sorry I'm in Belgium. Next time I'm in PA I'll hit you up, lol. But I only come that side of the Atlantic once every few years.

I purchased a Torment for My son at Christmas 2016, this is the first RC truck we have owned so we are noobs. I found the recall for the ESC and I received a new one, I think is 60A. Now the truck won't run off the original 1800mah lipo battery. It will run for about a min then it goes into slow mode. If I shut the ESC off then back on it rill run again for a min and do the same thing. It seems to work using my 5000mah 30C ok. Is there anyway to fix this ESC settings? It is set for lipo battery right now. The new ESC came to me and it was set up to run with no reverse. I had to take the jumper out to get reverse. Or I could use "crawl" jumper setting but either setting didn't work to run the 1800 battery. I thought this new ESC was going to fix a problem not create a new one any ideas?

Secondly the new ESC seems to operate differently than the original 40A. The original seemd to have full power until the last 15-30 seconds of run then it would go dead. The new one will go into slow mode (using the 5000mah 30c lipo 2S) where it will run that way for a few minutes before going dead. Is that how it is susposed to run?
How did you go about finding the recall for the ESC? My son received a Torment for Christmas and I ended up buying the replacement 60A as the 40A took a crap and ran into the same issue where it would run for maybe 5 minutes and then would go very slow.

My other son received a 2WD AMP for his birthday and the ESC went out on that also, but that one has the receiver built in as in on back order! :( Hoping there is a recall on those too.

I recently bought a 4WD Ruckus and just checked and it has the same ESC! :(

I know this is an old post but I am new to the RC world, so I am hoping you are still on here!

Latest posts

Members online

Back