Adding clearance to ECX Boost shock mounts

i_r_beej

While trying to tune the suspension on my ECX Boost, I discovered that the clearance at the tower was tight. The inboard mounting hole was unusable and the middle mounting hole is barely okay; the shock top cap rubs against the tower. The outboard mounting hole is just fine.

I picked up some Duratrax 3x3mm anodized aluminum "washers" (DTXQ 0655 blue). These have an inner diameter of 3mm with a 3mm height. The Boost uses 3mm screws so these spacers fit perfectly and shock position won't be compromised. For the tower mount, I finished with a Duratrax ano aluminum thin lock nut (DTXQ 0685 blue). The nut was a near perfect fit and left maybe a millimeter of threads protruding. ( I didn't try replacing the stock lock nuts, but I believe they would completely engage the threads.) To preserve the vertical alignment of the shock, I installed a spacer on the lower mount and used the longer self-tapping screw from the caster block camber link mount (left over when I replaced the stock camber links with turnbuckles). Again, this was a perfect fit and the screw protrudes about .5mm on the front side ensuring a solid connection.

Now I can move the shock to ANY tower mounting hole and the cap does not rub.

ecx-boost-shock-spacer.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back