Adventures with our daughters first RC

holmpc

I got my daughter (and me) an ECX AMP MT and have been having fun with it learning how durable they can be, our first issue we ran into was while we were playing in the snow with the truck. It did very well except for filling the inside of the truck with snow and then a wheel falling off in the parking lot next door. Well we got a replacement locknut and put on, started running it around and am getting a faint gravelly sound from the rear end the next time we run it. I discover that we over tightened the wheel nuts and have ruined the wheel bearings on three wheels. I was actually expecting the bearings to let go because of some things I read about the first things you need to replace. how tight should you tighten the wheel nuts onto these plastic hubs?

can't wait to get back out there bashing again.

Welcome @holmpc! It's all a learning experience, you'll be an expert in no time. For me, it's always been a "feel" sort of thing with the wheel nuts. It's easier on your Amp's front wheels, just make sure the wheels still spin freely . Too much tightening and they will start to bind. The rear is more difficult because of the driveline attached to them. You should still be able to feel when the tightening starts to bind the assembly though.

I haven't ruined any bearings by overtightening, but if you run them in water, they rust quickly. Maybe that was also a factor in your case.

Indeed the stock bearings are junk. I bought the cheapest replacement bearings I could find off ebay and they have held up much better... I ruined mine on the beach, salty seawater... That'll destroy every metal part in no time.

I find tightening until they feel tight then check if the wheel spins freely, if it does i go a bit more.
Once the wheel won't spin freely, i back it off until it does. Doesn't take much but its worked for me so
far

Members online

No members online now.
Back