Amp Gearing Question

spacemoses

TL;DR - what would you suggest I use for gears with a 3s and a 11T?

Hello, I am new here (and to RC cars in general) and I can't find a straightforward answer to my question. So I'm going to ask it directly and hope for mercy.

I have an AMP that I've run into the ground (fried the esc, maybe the motor) and I am trying to set it up for some middle ground between off-road and hard-track. I've purchased a new esc (the 60amp 1060 model that i've seen people talking about) and flysky 4CH TX/RX already.

So far I have it running on a 3s2p 5500 140C LiPO (this is what *might have* cooked my motor running around the street, noticed a sudden power drop, then a small whisp of plasticy white smoke after a few seconds in the front grass. Still turns but who knows for how long... but it was so fast...)
I also forgot that I had geared it up to 26t on the pinion when I bought it... I was informed by my hobby shop guy that 22 is the recommended maximum...

I have on hand from various other forays into RC land:
11T 540 motor
20T 540 motor that came with it (might be toast)
45T 540 motor

all 11 pinion gears from 18t to 28t
metal spur gears 92t, 85t, and 80t
(no issues with the plastic 87t spur gear yet)

Lots of 3s lipos 1600-5500mAh, but no 2s past 25C, and the 6s NiMh that came stock.

My question (finally) is this:
With what I have on hand, what combination would give me the best performance with the least worry of overheating, without adding fans?

I know the 92t spur wont fit in the gear case cover, so I'd like to avoid that.
I'm fine dropping back to the stock 18t pinion if I can run the 11T motor safely.

I like to take it out on gentle walking trails with my kid, so low speed and fairly hard ground. But i'd also like to be able to zip around the streets without having to tear the back off every day.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I can dream can't I?

Last edited:
G'day
I'd use the 11t motor, the less the better or faster apparently. But the 3s batteries I don't know, you'll have to check the specs on the new esc your getting. I believe my AMP came with an 18tooth pinion and I've upgraded to 22 i think, could be higher. But I went down to a slightly smaller spur gear than standard, this was to go to a metal spur gear as we went through a few plastic ones. No problem there, a different noise with metal to metal. I used a bit of wax lube.

I check temperatures all the time when I'm changing something. Is the only way to be sure you're not going to kill it.

Good luck.

TL;DR - what would you suggest I use for gears with a 3s and a 11T?

Hello, I am new here (and to RC cars in general) and I can't find a straightforward answer to my question. So I'm going to ask it directly and hope for mercy.

I have an AMP that I've run into the ground (fried the esc, maybe the motor) and I am trying to set it up for some middle ground between off-road and hard-track. I've purchased a new esc (the 60amp 1060 model that i've seen people talking about) and flysky 4CH TX/RX already.

So far I have it running on a 3s2p 5500 140C LiPO (this is what *might have* cooked my motor running around the street, noticed a sudden power drop, then a small whisp of plasticy white smoke after a few seconds in the front grass. Still turns but who knows for how long... but it was so fast...)
I also forgot that I had geared it up to 26t on the pinion when I bought it... I was informed by my hobby shop guy that 22 is the recommended maximum...

I have on hand from various other forays into RC land:
11T 540 motor
20T 540 motor that came with it (might be toast)
45T 540 motor

all 11 pinion gears from 18t to 28t
metal spur gears 92t, 85t, and 80t
(no issues with the plastic 87t spur gear yet)

Lots of 3s lipos 1600-5500mAh, but no 2s past 25C, and the 6s NiMh that came stock.

My question (finally) is this:
With what I have on hand, what combination would give me the best performance with the least worry of overheating, without adding fans?

I know the 92t spur wont fit in the gear case cover, so I'd like to avoid that.
I'm fine dropping back to the stock 18t pinion if I can run the 11T motor safely.

I like to take it out on gentle walking trails with my kid, so low speed and fairly hard ground. But i'd also like to be able to zip around the streets without having to tear the back off every day.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but I can dream can't I?
Sorry this doesn't give you any answers but I have a a question to post and have no idea how to do it. There's a blue button that says post but it won't click. Any help appreciated

Sorry this doesn't give you any answers but I have a a question to post and have no idea how to do it. There's a blue button that says post but it won't click. Any help appreciated
My best suggestion would be to reboot whatever device you are browsing on and make sure you are logged in before you try posting again. "cookies or some such other bug issue" -- turn it off and on again, works ~87% of the time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back