Are the stock tires different on the front and back?

Ramjet

My ECX03016 - Ruckus 4WD brushless, came with Shootout MT Speedtreads tires. I've been swapping out wheels and tires quite a bit. Currently, I have all 4 removed and am about to re-mount them and noticed that one pair of tires seems to be a slightly wider (or shaped differently) than the other pair. It's possible that one pair is stock and the other pair were purchased a year or so later, I can't remember. Maybe the foam is different and that's why they are different.

On the image with all 4 tires, notice the (cleaner) pair in the back is slightly more rounded than the pair in the front.

On the image with 2 tires, notice the (cleaner) tire on the left is slightly narrower than the one on the right.

Does anyone know if the wider pair is supposed to be mounted on the front or the back? Any ideas on how I ended up with two slightly different pairs?

Attachments

• 20190107_041017.jpg
    20190107_041017.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190107_041101.jpg
    20190107_041101.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190107_041137.jpg
    20190107_041137.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm not sure on the ruckus, but naturally the wider goes on the rear. You would need to use a caliper if you want to know sooner then later.
I run Torments, which would be similar to your ruckus. You can run Traxxas slash or most likely Rustler, now they have 2 different offsets. Just shop on eBay, type in Traxxas slash wheels and go from there. I don't think I have ever found ECX offsets in aftermarket wheels per se. I am running some Serpents #SE500302 short course wheels with proline tires. They work good. The offset is a little less, but works with my LCG, I do just fine.

Last edited:
The cleaner set is just newer and the foam does look like it fills the inside of the tire more giving it a more rounded shape. You should be able to tell just squeezing the tire and feeling how the foam feels in each set.

I am looking for tires for my 2wd torment I need help looking for the right tires for my truck
The Torment being a short course truck, and post being in a Ruckus (monster truck) sub category, are you looking to do what a lot of bashers do to their SCTs....monster SCT with larger 2.8 wheels/tires?

I'd stick to standard 2.2/3.0" wheels/tires. The larger rubber of 2.8s will put more stress on drivetrain. Pro-Line Badlands SC tires are favorites of mine for running off-road.

I'd stick to standard 2.2/3.0" wheels/tires. The larger rubber of 2.8s will put more stress on drivetrain. Pro-Line Badlands SC tires are favorites of mine for running off-road.

I just purchased some Pro-Line Badlands 3.8" model 1178-11. I'm going to use 12mm to 17mm adapters. Regarding your reference about more rubber having more stress on the drivetrain, what pinion gear do you recommend with these wheels/tires to minimize drivetrain breakage?

Should I upgrade my hex in my torment and they r 12mm right
Yes, 12mm hexes. If you find that you are stripping stock hexes, then I would upgrade to aluminum. I was never a fan of plastic wheel hexes. You can fix/mod/repair them, but time, effort, and parts account for something. Right?

I just purchased some Pro-Line Badlands 3.8" model 1178-11. I'm going to use 12mm to 17mm adapters. Regarding your reference about more rubber having more stress on the drivetrain, what pinion gear do you recommend with these wheels/tires to minimize drivetrain breakage?
I was referring to Viper's question about what wheels and tires are needed on the Torment short course truck.

Yes, 12mm hexes. If you find that you are stripping stock hexes, then I would upgrade to aluminum. I was never a fan of plastic wheel hexes. You can fix/mod/repair them, but time, effort, and parts account for something. Right?
True

Members online

No members online now.
Back