Battery Issues

regme

Hi

I have just bought the Temper and out of the box it ran fine for about 10 to 15 min then it started to slow down and not respond to the turning inputs. Just thought it that the battery needed charging, being new and all.

After charging for 9hrs same thing, its the stock battery Dynamite 7.2V 900mAh NIMH. I thought I would have gotten more out of it.

I have noticed that most people are running LiPo's. Is there are difference, I thought the NIMH are more suited to the rock crawling.

Do you have to modify anything on the Temper to run LiPos if I keep the original motor and esc

Cheers

Your factory battery run times are on par with mine and the steering was the first thing to go.

The factory ESC will handle a 2s lipo, 3s will fry it.

I bought a 2000 mah Venom 2s Lipo and Venom PR2 charger. From what I understand the higher the mah the longer the run time. That was the highest mah that my lhs had that would fit.

I never had a chance to actually time a full run because I forgot to get a Low Voltage Alarm/Monitor and had to stop to check the voltage every few minutes with a multimeter for fear of damaging the battery (your aren't supposed to run them below 3.3v per cell), but the overall run time was definitely longer. Probably at least 30 min. Even better my lipo charges in 45 min or less of course that may be the charger. What's more I've read that Lipos take somewhere around 12 charge/discharge cycles to reach their full potential, I'm probably on my 6th cycle now.

When I finally got a low voltage alarm I also upgraded my rims and tires so it isn't an apples to apples time comparison. Plus with the bigger tires and new found power I think I cooked my motor. I'm actually on here right now trying to find out how to test it!

Some of this is just my experience so far and some is what I've read. Hopefully Woodie or someone more knowledgeable will chime in and make sure I'm not lying to you lol!

A lipo can deliver much more current, but as you rightly said that is not important for crawling. They are much more of a fire hazard and you need a low voltage alarm, so I don't think it's worth it for a crawler. They are also lighter for the same capacity which may or may not be good for crawler.

I don't know what kind of charger comes with the temper but you could give your battery to someone with a proper multifunction charger and he could probably revive it. You could take up the issue with ecx support but batteries are unreliable things and it worked out of the box so don't get your hopes up.

Thanks for that, just a bit of an update. I measured the battery, it had 6.8V, fire up the rock crawler it ran for 10sec and slowed right down, measured the battery again and it was down to 6.2V.

With these NiMH what sort of voltage would they be at when the are low?

Cheers

So, since its a 6 cell battery I could go down as low as 1.2V from 7.2V. If that's the case then the battery is stuffed, might have to go back to the store then.

Cheers

Yeah you kinda need to go and buy youself a decent charger anyway (9 hours - ermergerd!!) , future proof yourself so you don't waste money and grab a charger thatll do both NiMH and Lipos.
Personally id still get a lipo for a crawler as well.. stick to 2S but try and bump up the discharge rate to 40C+

I have a charger from my plane flying days which does both LiPo's and NIMH I just have to cut off the original connectors (EC3) and solder on some XT60

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back