Beadlocks for 2wd Castle Creations 4106-4600kv on 3s????

DantheMan

*Anyone Running Beadlocks?

-I had a problem with the large stock tires going skinny at high speed and breaking the glue free from the wheels(especially if you cart wheel the model)....Swapping to a slightly smaller diameter wheel/tire combo(109mm/4.3" height...stock Traxxas Stampede VXL 2wd 2.8 rims/Talon tires)...I am seeing the same problem. (I like the slightly smaller wheel/tire combo...truck handles alot better.)

**I have 5 runs now on these slightly smaller tires and they ALSO "skinny up" at high speed, breaking the glue from the wheels. What else is there to do besides change to a "Beadlock" type wheel?(I AM GETTING TIRED OF CLEANING AND RE-GLUING)

Last edited:
The "Skinny -up" is what is often referred to as "Ballooning". To get around it, there are a few things you can do -

One - you can "Tape" your tires. take them off the rim, and add a wrap or two of high quality duct tape (Gorrilla brand tape is popular) to the inside of the rubber tire. Not the sidewall, but the flat backside of the tread. Remount and glue. Also, another way to reinforce the tires is with braided spectra fishing line. this can go on the outside of the tire, between the tire lugs, then secure with CA glue. Not all tires can be wrapped with fishing line, you need a tread that will allow the thread to be mostly straight around the tire, and off the ground. Youtube has how-to's.

Two - buy some belted tires. Most of the belted tires are on-road treads. SRC does offer some 1/8 truggy size wheels that are belted with a kind of off-road tread - https://www.amazon.com/SRC-Terrain-...?srs=3043477011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516302667&sr=8-9
You will need 17mm adaptors, though.

If you plan on staying on the road, belted 1/8 road tires are good -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BK5N0AA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3SLX92E9SQ4V8&colid=1HSZMR5O6W3VX&psc=0
Again, you will need the 17mm adaptors.

Well...Let me tell you, "My eyes hurt" researching all the different methods of taping/anit-ballooning tires and might I also throw in...Traxxas style wheels/tires suck. (you'll understand if you have to work with them, and read my report here).

So here is what I did:
-I decided to try the oven method, then immediately resorted to cooling in the freezer.(did 300F each wheel for 20 minutes wrapped lightly in foil)...tossed into freezer for 10 minutes. *What I discovered was, the factory glue is fully attached "deeply into this TRAXXAS STYLE WHEEL GROOVE ONLY for 1/3 of the traxxas wheel". This proved to be very difficult to undo. So I had to resort to using "de-bonder or Un Glue"...10 minutes and many numerous applications of debonder later, one wheel/tire I was patient for, first one I was in too much of a hurry..ended up with a ripped bead.
-This is what I used:
products used.JPG

-Next I had to prep and clean the rims and tires for re-gluing..remove old glue. *Ihad some real nice diamond embedded dremel bits that I bought years ago....the worked perfectly for easy controlled sanding/removal of old ca glue. Lastly...I lightly rough sanded with 80 grit sand paper.. the insides of the tires for added grip of glue/tape.(tire on left in picture is lictly dulled from the sanding vs an unsanded tire on the right)dremel diamond1.JPG
-Here is some pictures of the cleaned rims/tires:
cleaned tire.JPG
cleaned traxxas talon tire.JPG
cleaned traxxas wheel.JPG
left tire scrubbed.JPG
-Next I blew everything clean with the air compressor and washed them with 91% rubbing alcohol...I was ready to apply the gorilla tape. I decided to to do the method that involved using "a zig zag of ca glue prior to laying down the first centered layer of tape, I ended my 2nd layer exactly where the first started with no overlap. (I then pressed the tape in well to the tires, and sealed the outer edges with ca glue....This step seemed pointless as the ca doesn't stick to the topside of the tape...only adheres to the sticky side)
taped edges glued.JPG
tire completed.JPG
****The gray Traxxas foams junked themselves when I dis-assembled the tires,(notice I only un-glued the outsides...as the inside beads were so well factory glued, I gave up on them!! I replaced the foams with what I had on hand, I believe they were 2.2...designed for LOSI(white).
^^I fought for an hour or so with these two tires getting the darned edge folded back over itself and lined up back into the seated bead area..(sore fingers!!)
*****I re- glued them starting with 4 opposing 1/2" spots, and then finished them off. What I noticed afterwards is this...MAYBE THE DOUBLE LAYER OF GORILLA TAPE WAS TOO MUCH. My tires are not perfectly round anymore, there are slight dimples or flat spots. It doesn't seem to effect the model at speed, the tires do not balloon anymore.

Last edited:
I am no expert at taping tires - but I found that when I did them inside out like you are showing, when I flipped the tire right way around, the tape got bunched up. This is probably causing your out of round issued - but the tire should round out at speed as the tire stretches to the limits of the tape. I started over, removed the tape, and re-raped the tires with them right side out. Was a PITA, but the tires looked nice and round.

These are too big, but you could e-mail Proline to see if they are going to make a 2.8" version.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back