Best first upgrade

mikellini

Well, Saturday is the big day, going to pick up my Temper. Unfortunately I have to drive over an hour each way to get to the LHS, so I'd like to make the trip productive...

What should I pick up for my first mod/upgrade/hop-up? I've read about a ton of things here and elsewhere, but prioritizing them is beyond me. Budget is of course a concern as well, so perhaps best bang-for-buck should come first...

Any ideas?

From what I've read, the servo isn't actually that bad, completely waterproof and the steering is only a little soft, plus it can handle bigger tires.

I'd like to get wheels and tires, somewhere around 110mm I think, but that looks pricey. I've seen a few people go with aluminum hubs and knuckles, that might be a cheaper option. The other option is a 2s LiPo battery and a low voltage alarm, but I'd rather run a proper ESC with low voltage cutoff; any ideas for a good waterproof one that would work?

aluminum hubs and knuckles would definalty be a good option.

2s lipo's, since you don't already have them, are important( in my book). but, don't get lipos at you LHS. they most likely carry brands that are too pricey imo.

check out spc racing or smc racing( same company). they are ameraican made, inexpensive, and last for a very long time( I know a few guys who have had them for 4+ years, and they still are working great). they alos tend to have more MAH then what they say, which is a bonus. best bang for your buck.

as for an esc, I personally would get a caslte or hobbywing 1/10 scale.( I like the castle sidewinder for crawlers) but that's me.
rc gearshop can be found on ebay or towerhobbies. ive heard good things about them

I have a stock brushed arrma esc ill sell ya cheap if you want it. pm if your interested.

I've read that brushed power is best for crawlers due to better low end control and especially if I'm going in water, since apparently brushed motors handle water better. So probably looking for a brushed ESC, it looks like the castle sidewinder is brushless. I pmd you about your ESC.

Anyone else?

I'm not sure about aluminum parts either, reading a lot about how they bend instead of flex and cause other things to break. I thought I had come across a list of what kinds of parts are good in aluminum vs plastic, but I can't find it now. Any ideas?

aluminum parts should not be on any hign stress/impact areas. so, a-arms, shock towers, things like that( 1/8-1/5 racing is the exception).

however, since you have a crawler, there's not that many high stress areas. and the temper has a good bit of aluminum on it already.

my first aluminum upgrade would be either shocks or driveshafts.

I ended up picking up a decent charger for now, they have to order the other stuff in. So I picked up a Duratrax Onyx 235, ordered the steering knuckles, hubs, and hex kit. I'll see how the shocks are and replace them with aluminum if they break I think.

Someone should make an upgrade bible for this truck ;)

Decided against adding any aluminum for now. Just played around with it tonight and I'm pretty happy with everything except the torque twist and tendency to roll back when climbing. I swapped the battery mount around, and will try adding a little weight to the front tires...

How exactly do you alter the left rear spring to help with torque twist?

you have a few choices.( remember that adjusting the shocks isn't the ideal fix for tourqe twist, but it works.)

1) put thicker shock oil in the shock( can be found at your LHS as well as online)
2) put a harder spring on( cam be found online, possibly at your LHS)
3) put shock spacers on. im not sure if the temper comes with them or not. they are little clips that clip onto the shock body.

Members online

No members online now.
Back