Best mods under $50

greenbearing

Friends, I was fortunate enough to receive $50 in amazon gift cards this year, What mods could I buy for my 1:18 temper?

I woul really like to improve its crawling ability and if possible address the torque twist. Doing a quick search it shows that the most popular mods are:
- Bigger tires (which ones?).
- Wheel Spacers.
- Weights in wheels.

Is it worth it spending $50 in this or should I just save and eventually buy an axial or something like that.

Not sure about tires.
I wouldn't waste the time or money in weights just pick up some steel wheels.
As far as the spacers they are cheap. Just bought a set on eBay for $10 they are 20mm wheel wideners but I bought mine so I could bring the wheels out to fit a 1/10 body.

Best mod for the Temper, HANDS DOWN, is the new Hobbywing 1080 brushed crawler ESC. Makes such a HUGE improvement to how the Temper drives. And you'll probably have enough left over to buy some axle extenders.

Otherwise I'd suggest getting parts to convert to four wheel steering. That is also a great mod that makes a big difference in handling.

Best mod for the Temper, HANDS DOWN, is the new Hobbywing 1080 brushed crawler ESC. Makes such a HUGE improvement to how the Temper drives. And you'll probably have enough left over to buy some axle extenders.

Otherwise I'd suggest getting parts to convert to four wheel steering. That is also a great mod that makes a big difference in handling.
I *really* want to eliminate the torque twist as much as possible, already rotated battery and motor but would like to reduce it even more. Would rear steering help with this?

What advantage does the Hobbywing 1080 brushed crawler ESC has over the stock?

I *really* want to eliminate the torque twist as much as possible, already rotated battery and motor but would like to reduce it even more. Would rear steering help with this?

I cut two 1 cm pieces of snowmobile fuel line tubing and slipped them over the rear shocks. This preloads the shocks and it reduced the torque twist on my Temper by more than 90%. I took out the foam tire inserts and wrapped 3 oz of 1/8" plumbing solder around each of the front wheel rims and 1.5 oz around each of the rear rims for more stability. I also use a small form factor 1300 mah 2S lipo. The lighter battery makes the machine less top heavy. The last change I made was to remove the front and rear bumpers, as they tended to get hung up on things more than they protected anything.

Last edited:
the motor was a good mod, made the truck more fun.
other than that, I put on wheel wideners (14mm) and 1.9 axial ripsaw wheels/tires. It can now do this:

I cut two 1 cm pieces of snowmobile fuel line tubing and slipped them over the rear shocks. This preloads the shocks and it reduced the torque twist on my Temper by more than 90%. I took out the foam tire inserts and wrapped 3 oz of 1/8" plumbing solder around each of the front wheel rims and 1.5 oz around each of the rear rims for more stability. I also use a small form factor 1300 mah 2S LiPo. The lighter battery makes the machine less top heavy. The last change I made was to remove the front and rear bumpers, as they tended to get hung up on things more than they protected anything.
I think this is what I am looking for, would you mind sharing a pic of that fuel line mod you did? I am curious on the diameter of that tube and how it looks.

If I wanted to go the LiPo way.. is just a plug and play thing or do I have to upgrade other parts?

Not really. For me, flipping the battery tray around provided the most benefit.

Holy cow, where do I start? The HW 1080 has a better BEC and provides 6V or 7.4V (Or maybe 7.2V?, not sure). You can set the "punch" so the Temper will actually "crawl" from a stop. Drag brake prevents the car from coasting freely. It's also LiPo compatible in that it provides for LVC. And there's more. All of the settings are configurable via the included programming card.

Yes the lipo is plug and play but you'll need a low voltage alarm to keep the lipo from dying. They can be had for 3-10 dollars

Not really. For me, flipping the battery tray around provided the most benefit.

Holy cow, where do I start? The HW 1080 has a better BEC and provides 6V or 7.4V (Or maybe 7.2V?, not sure). You can set the "punch" so the Temper will actually "crawl" from a stop. Drag brake prevents the car from coasting freely. It's also LiPo compatible in that it provides for LVC. And there's more. All of the settings are configurable via the included programming card.
Upgrading this will imply that I also need a new remote?

PD: I am a noob

Yes. Cripes I'm a dope! So that just eliminates the ESC from the "under $50 upgrade" category!

I already had an extra DX2E transmitter and just had to buy a SR210 receiver ($30). So that's $70-ish right there for the Rx and ESC!

I'm sorry for my completely useless recommendation.

everything I've read recommends wheel wideners (JUNFAC brand) and better tires as two "first" upgrades that transform the Temper's capabilities.

All my recommendations for the Hobbywing 1080 ESC still stand, though. It's a totally "worth-it" upgrade. :)

Moving the shocks to this outside position helped me greatly with torque twist and overall handling with the added 15mm spacers and 2.2 hammers0103171950.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back