Burning out motors (help)

Lunitunz

New to rc hobby. I recently purchased a torment 4x4 1/10.

I burnt out the original motor 13t dynamite first day.
I replaced with a 12t titan and it smells burnt after first run and I'm afraid it wont last much longer than the first motor. I am running a 5200 7.4v lipo battery.

My question is which brushless motor/esc upgrade to go with that is somewhat affordable. Ive read gool rc is hit or miss. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for a setup and parts ?
I've found info I'll probably need to upgrade spur and pinion.

Anything helps. Thanks

Last edited:
New to rc hobby. I recently purchased a torment 4x4 1/10.

I burnt out the original motor 13t dynamite first day.
I replaced with a 12t titan and it smells burnt after first run and I'm afraid it wont last much longer that the first motor. I am running a 5200 7.4v lipo battery.

My question is which brushless upgrade to go with and can someone point me in the right direction for parts. My friend said I would need a new spot and pinion?

Anything helps. Thanks
Cant go wrong with castle ESC and motors. A little pricey. And you should change your pinion and spur once they break, have new parts in hand. Brushless motors and Lipo batteries. I've literally broken and replaced everything except the stock belly pan.........

I recently bought a ECX torment 4 x 4, I had the same issue and I think I know what it is, when you look at the motor you’ll see that there’s no screen preventing debris from going into the motor. I was able to put a wire mesh screen around it so both holes are better protected yet not blocked. Air needs to flow. I think that will solve our problem. So far its worked for me. Good luck!

Brushed motors get punished a whole lot more with today's larger capacity batteries providing longer run times. I've tried to get back to the good ol' days of RCing by using brushed motors for a short time...very short time. The brushed motors that I acquired were from dirt cheap winning bids on eBay. There is no way I would have tried using brushed motors again if I was paying more than $10 for them. No matter how low I geared the motors, they always ran stupid hot after 6 minutes.

You can find very good brushless motors for any platform out there now, and you don't have to blow large chunks of money to do it. I love to use low budget sensored, and sensorless brushless motors. I don't think I've ever had a dud. The only beef I have with the cheap motors is they always blow bearings super fast. After replacing the motor bearings, the durability of the motors jumps up greatly. Pick the right size/kv motor for your needs, gear it correctly...good to go. Let 'er rip!

It's the ultra low budget speed controls that are so hit, or miss. I did my time with copycat/Hobbywing wannabee speed controls. Lesson learned. I still have a few hanging on, but the quality is just not there. I needed to buy a bunch of cheap electronics to keep my RCs up and running for when friends and family would come over to play. The durability of the ultra low budget speed controls holding up to rough off-roading was not good. I'd definitely suggest spending a bit more money for a good name brand ESC, and cheap out on the brushless motors. My go to brand for speed controls is Hobbywing, 'cause they have always stood the test of time for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Back