Castle motor/esc question

BobbyBlank

I just converted a 2wd 1:10 torment to a 32p, 56 tooth spur with 2.8" badlands tires....I want to install a castle creations motor/esc combo. What motor, esc and pinion should I use in order to keep things from burning up? I'm not trying to do anything that my limited knowledge considers "crawling", just looking to bash in mudholes at a decent rate of speed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

A 12t pinion would be about stock, but you're going to need to go smaller. I would say try a 10t. That should be enough to keep things from getting hot fast. Would be a good idea to get a motor fan too. Those tires are big and heavy compared to the stock tires.

I’m running a CC 3800/SCT combo on 5200/2s lipo with a 19t pinion and 85t spur gear in my 2wd Ruckus and the motor barely breaks 100 degrees. With the smaller tires on the Torment I’m thinking 24/87 would be conservative.

I’m running a CC 3800/SCT combo on 5200/2s lipo with a 19t pinion and 85t spur gear in my 2wd Ruckus and the motor barely breaks 100 degrees. With the smaller tires on the Torment I’m thinking 24/87 would be conservative.
Those are 48p right? OP is currently using 32p. Just for clarity.

Oh 2s. My previous post was based on 3s. So you can start with a 12t, as others say stock ratio is fine. I run 3s, on 2.8 trenchers, and based my response on that. I'm using a 3100kv on a 16t 48p pinion. That's 3 teeth lower then stock

I have huge tires, though...went from 2.2 stock to 2.8 proline badlands. I'm guessing it is now more of a monster truck than short course?

Thanks steve...Ill do the math and see what spur/pinion combos in 32p give me a ratio close to what you're using

Oh 2s. My previous post was based on 3s. So you can start with a 12t, as others say stock ratio is fine. I run 3s, on 2.8 trenchers, and based my response on that. I'm using a 3100kv on a 16t 48p pinion. That's 3 teeth lower then stock

Steve - The OP is referring to a 2wd model. Is your gearing based on 4wd specs or is that because of the 32p? What’s the benefit of 32p gearing?

Well that would be about a 10. I had issues with the 16t, a 17t fit with a little filing of the motor holes, while with the 16, the motor hit the tranny, so I dremeled it down some, and I had to trim 2 screws that held on my motor guard on the top, but I think the torment has a different rear guard, so might not be needed for your set up. I'm not sure how far you'll have to go to get a 10t pinion to work, hopefully not as much, but be prepared if you do go that low. If really needed, you could get a team associated 58t spur gear to help with clearances and ratio. Are you running 3s or 2s?

Steve - The OP is referring to a 2wd model. Is your gearing based on 4wd specs or is that because of the 32p? What’s the benefit of 32p gearing?

No mine is based on 32p. I have a 2wd circuit for comparison, though with stock 48p. The benefit of 32p is it's not quite a finicky with the mesh, so it can seem to be less prone to having issues. I initially planned on going to 32p when I first got my circuits, as my crawler is 32p, but I've read 48p is just as strong, just need to have the right mesh. Been a year on 3s, no spur failures yet. And I beat it hard. Broke everything but the gears so far.

Gotcha. I run admittedly conservative gearing (19/85) on 2s, all metal trans/dif gears with steel Robinson Racing spur and HR splined HD axels. We beat these things pretty good at the skate park. No room to open them up, lots of short run ins for jumps. And lots of high traction. My daughter has an Arrma Granite that eats a spur every now and then (her landings need some work ?) so I was wondering if the 32p would be a good alternative to a steel spur - which I can’t seem to find for her truck. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back