Considering ECX for a young boy that has aspirations of driving way too fast

ericfx1984

I know I'm not a new member... But I'm not really sure where to place this... Mods maybe you could move this to a better location?

A couple years ago Santa Claus bought my son's an AMP MT kit... we spent the day assembling it and had it out and running on Christmas day

only mods that have really happened until recently was some new aftermarket axles...

Well over the last few months we've acquired quite a few RCs for the family... One of them is a stampede two-wheel drive, the other one is a slash two-wheel drive that I have converted to brushless and done several additional modifications to...

Relative to the anthem tea they are all quite quick

Unfortunately the combo receiver/electronic speed controller on the amp has failed... I had an extra Traxxas XL5 and Titan 12 turn motor as well as an extra receiver so we were able to get it up and running in no time flat

As you can imagine it is significantly quicker now and wheelies with very little effort... However, it is truly too fast for my 8-year-old to handle so I've been keeping it in training mode which makes it just a hair faster than when it was stock

My 8-year-old is not at all happy with this, but considering he still wrecks it pretty easily in training mode I'm not so sure I want to put him on full speed with something that is fun for the whole family

however he asked me if I would let him use his allowance money and get his own RC car that he could build as fast as he wanted to... I explained to him that this was actually a very expensive thing to do but he does have quite a bit of money saved up for allowance and he could technically do this... I was thinking maybe another amp MT would be a good way to go... and that he could run that for a little bit and save up some money for metal gear's and a brushless setup

And of course another receiver and transmitter
I'd really like to stay in a kit form so that he has a better understanding of how to set everything up... But I have no problem with buying a ready to run and simply tearing the ready to run down

I'm also open to the idea of non-ECX products

If he wants to go that fast check out the arrma granite 4x4 3s blx. There’s a lot of info about it on the arrma forum. I have one and put rpm suspension arms on it and it’s crazy durable in warm weather. It’s also four wheel drive so more fun. Bit pricier initially than an amp but leaves room to grow. Too many people say they are beginner trucks but I’ve been in the hobby for almost 8 years now, I’ve had it for a year and got sick of running 2s Lipo so I run it on 3s now. Introducing funny floppy rc truck that keeps on trucking. Parts are a bit iffy right now with Covid but availability has gotten way better over the past 2 years.

IMHO, I have had an ECX Torment for over 6 years and when one of my grandkids want to drive I always hand them my ECX Torment. They have no throttle control and like going full speed at all times. I have no worries that it will be returned in one piece! I put a thrasher body on it and away they go. It has never been returned broken. Just my .02 (y)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back