Does anyone know what gears I can use on my ecx tourment for more speed and torque?

Taite

Looking for a bit more speed and torque on my brushless ecx tourment anybody know what gears I can use?

I am not sure you can get both, speed and torque, just by gear changing. You can get either speed or either torque.
Plus it would be helpful if you also told us what you are currently running. Gear wise.....batt, esc, motor, gears......ect

I am not sure you can get both, speed and torque, just by gear changing. You can get either speed or either torque.
Plus it would be helpful if you also told us what you are currently running. Gear wise.....batt, esc, motor, gears......ect
Ok it has a 12t gear on it now and I would like more speed I’m running zippy 2s lipos on a goolrc ocday esc and motor.

A 12 tooth pinion is pretty small. Get a 14, 16, and maybe an 18 tooh and start testing.

What type of motor are you running? (Either KV or number of turns).

If you stay with the stock spur gear (87 t) you'll do well with a motor in the 4000-5000KV range. 3000KV and lower and you'll want to install a smaller spur. I've found the Associated spurs are really easy to adapt-- drill out the center hold to 5mm and use the Associated slipper pads and you're ready. You'll need to install a pinion in the 26-28t range.

A 12 tooth pinion is pretty small. Get a 14, 16, and maybe an 18 tooh and start testing.

What type of motor are you running? (Either KV or number of turns).

If you stay with the stock spur gear (87 t) you'll do well with a motor in the 4000-5000KV range. 3000KV and lower and you'll want to install a smaller spur. I've found the Associated spurs are really easy to adapt-- drill out the center hold to 5mm and use the Associated slipper pads and you're ready. You'll need to install a pinion in the 26-28t range.

I believe he has the 4x4 with the mod 1 gears, hence the 12t pinion. He's got another thread about his motor and a cogging issue. I believe he's in the process of buying a larger motor. Other thread is Crunching noise in ecx torment, under chassis and drivetrain section. For some reason I can't get the link option to work right now

I would also like to find out if there's a better pinion/spur gear setup for my torment 2wd. I run 13.5t brushless(yep, stock class is the only brushless accepted at my local track) with 2s lipos. I do more racing than bashing. Should I go for more torque or more speed? Is the stock pinion/spur set to more torque or set to more speed? I still have a lot of questions about this topic.

I need to find pinion gears for my 4x4 torment they need to be mod 1 if anyone got some for well let me know

Steel, being the harder metal, will stand up to more abuse. I would only use aluminum pinions if I were doing some spec class racing. For my "bashers", I have bought cheap sets of aluminum pinion gears before, but that was to find out a motor's gearing sweet spot.

Last edited:
Aluminum gears help decrease rotating mass in the drive train they will work better for racing. I use plastic pinions for stock racing and they make a noticeable difference in throttle response.

If you are going bashing use hardened steel gears they last longer and take more abuse.

Will a plastic one be just as durable? I do the type of racing that has a lot of starts and stops, and I heard that can be a little rough on the system.

I use polypro pinions as long as your running a 17.5 or 13.5 on packed clay with no dust or rocks I don’t think there should be any problems with plastic pinions However they need a weird hex driver size it’s a .050” mip makes a good one and the only one I really know of.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back