ECX aftermarket shocks don't quite fit.

AK4WD

I've just received the aftermarket aluminum body shocks for the ECX Torment (apparently fits other models) and upon installing them, I found that the spring retainer at the bottom of the shock hits the A-arm. I swapped out the spring retainers from the stock shocks, which have a bit of an upward taper and they seemed to help, I also found that the shock caps hit the front shock tower when installed in the same position as the stock units. There was no mention of needing spacers or any of that when I purchased the shocks. Has anyone else encountered this?

Good info. I have no knowledge of this, but I'm sure it is helpful to others wanting to do this mod. Can you post specifically what part numbers you bought and maybe post some pictures showing the issues?

The shocks were the ECX1096. They specify rear shocks but the front and rear stock units are identical, so I got a set of 4.

Here is the contact with the A-Arm
mjGIljiPfJ65ZVWpTpsod7xXJBCO_CrKXrhFnr56sspArmCEs_NFb7NAWK47J8mKpNJ6s2mKrOX7_0dizB6=w552-h980-no.png

Here is the front shock tower, now mounted in the outermost hole to prevent contact

khWSLTIv1HLVbzgZhU2KjKKxLBHoUlkJk2QHBpnpK-LapCdYU5qu7QkJ0hJYj9Vw6lCDU_sJ63nWpm0f1W3=w552-h980-no.png
That fastener just below and to the left of the cap, that's what it hits when moved inward.

Last edited:
Do you have a 4WD torment? If so, that is likely your problem. Those shocks are spec'd for the 2WD torment only. If you look, alot of the chassis is different between the 4WD and 2WD torment (chassis, shock towers, a-arms, etc).

Ah, I see. It was supposed to be ECX333002, that's good. Research and whatnot, got excited.

All right, got a set of the appropriate units on order. I'll put the shocks for the 2wd unit up in the classifieds when the new ones arrive.

Last edited:
Got the right shocks back on the thing. Looks fresh, feels good and got a bit more ride height out of it.
RoGfhWm9d8EyG-VOz5QRzJatAKgFdwpd5o6FPuBytg9LDYPhjHWq63hwITNA2WuzdxweFrfnSBZGV1KABf1=w552-h980-no.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back