ECX Amp MT Help Needed

dumouc56

I bought my son the above mentioned car and is a great starter car. He took it outside the other day and got wet. The next day he turned it on and smoke started coming from the ESC. We unplugged the battery and let it sit overnight. We tried to plug the battery in and the car would run no matter what position the on/off switch was on. Has anybody experienced this or have any ideas as to what the problem is? I'm guessing the ESC is shot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the ESC is gone, if its newer you can contact Horizon and I'm sure they'll send a new one out through the warranty. If its out of warranty, now is a good time to upgrade from the ESC/RX combo and get a decent ESC and RX separate. I used ECX13003 so I could still use the stock TX.

Unfortunately the ESC is 99% shot. Even though the trucks are advertised as splash proof someone water could've gotten in.
I have 2 of these trucks and my cousin has one, we'e upgraded them beyond belief but what sucks is the stock electronics in these trucks are utterly cheap and crappy. I mean I understand that in the sense that they are trying to get a 1/10 hobby scale rc out the door for under 200$. It's just a fact.
I wouldn't bother ordering a new ESC of the same kind. There are tons of other good ESCs that are much better. If you want to stay brushed and relatively cheap I'd go with the XL-5 from traxxas, also water proof, but much more reliable... think you can grab em for around 50$.
Now... that's the ESC problem taken care of.
Next is that unfortunately with these trucks the ESC and radio receiver are a 2 in 1 built unit... there is no separate radio receiver in that truck. So your ESC going down in flames means your remote is also useless - good for nothing now.
So you will also need a new remote/receiver aswell for the truck with your new ESC.
The Spektrum dx2e i have for my 2 trucks and it's decently cheap with great range, really good radio. Cost about 60ish bucks if i remember right.
So to fix your truck this is what you need...
Traxxas XL-5 ESC - 50$USD (80ish $CAD)
Spektrum dx2e - 60$USD (90ish $CAD)

There will be other people that might say buy a new ESC and such but please just don't do it... out of my 2 trucks and my cousins every truck just had it's ESC go up in smoke for no reason. The ESC and radio that i listed are both very reliable pieces of hardware.
I know its poop spending more money right after buying the truck but unfortunately that's what it is with these trucks. The trucks themselves are extremely durable and good quality, but the stock guts in em are poop.. hence the low price.

Also one more thing. The stock 20turn motor is also living on borrowed time. When I had my truck i had a few burn out only after moderate use. Id recommend a Firebolt HP 15 turn (20ish$) as a good backup/upgrade for your son. It will run a bit faster than the 20turn.

Remember to shop around... local hobby shop, Amazon.. etc.. I order all my parts from different places all the time depending on parts availability and such.

Hope I could help you out !

Thank you. That definitely helps. Is it worth-it to do these upgrades? I am looking at the price for the mentioned items and I could get a much better RC car for not much more $(without battery). For example I just bought myself a new Slash for fairly cheap. So I'm teetering on whether or not it'll be worth it to upgrade it.

It might be worth it, Honestly lol any vehicle you get you will be putting money into it. I believe since you allready have the truck these upgrades would be worth it, as both those parts are reliable and like I've said you'e allready got the truck. Besides the garbage electronics these trucks are pretty durable in terms of bashing, and parts support for them is great, I've never hit a site or a hobby hop that didn't carry ECX parts. Also this truck truck shares 99% of its parts with the ECX circuit/boost, and alot of parts with the ECX Torment aswell. So you will never have to worry about finding parts. Also especially to get your son intoworking on rc vehicles, these trucks are extremely simply built and put together.
Pro's : Durable, Cheap/Great parts Support, Easy to work on. LOTS of companies making aftermarket/upgrade parts for ECX trucks (RPM parts, T-Bone racing bumpers, Hot Racing, etc...)
Cons : Garbage stock electronics, weak steering servo.
Those are the goods/bads of the truck out if the box.
Id upgrade it personally, i mean youve allready got the truck....but whatever you do is your decision, just trying to help you out with some info.

Completely appreciate it. I agree with you that its a durable truck and we have fun with it. We enjoyed putting it together and seeing how it works. I will be upgrading it was just getting your opinion. I really appreciate your opinion on this!! Will probably stick with Traxxas replacement parts(ESC, receiver etc).

Hey dude no problem anytime. If you ever have any questions or anything hit me up in a private message. I own 2 of these trucks and have dealt with every problem they have and have upgraded everything, so I can help you with pretty much anything if you ever need it. Have fun with your son !

Thank you. That definitely helps. Is it worth-it to do these upgrades? I am looking at the price for the mentioned items and I could get a much better RC car for not much more $(without battery). For example I just bought myself a new Slash for fairly cheap. So I'm teetering on whether or not it'll be worth it to upgrade it.
A myth: a quality Traxxas is around $700. That is why they have 3 versions of the same car. You can upgrade the ECX for far less and get a better truck than a top Traxxas slash. Apples to Apples. A top of the line would be Losi, Team associated, etc... but that depends on what your using the truck for. The upgrades for parts , you will see names like Hot Racing & Big Bore. The Traxxas 5 brushed is waterproof and can be found new with the 12T motor for under 30. Brushless & waterproof, you can also find combo's starting around $30. Check out the different forums on ECX AMP MT upgrades & Youtube. Also ECX has come out with a receiver to bind to their controllers about a year ago, if you want to keep the remote. Horizon Hobby has the how to video on youtube. You have tons of options for transmitters(TX) as well. I like Flysky Gt3c. It's around $43. You can use it on multiple vehicles, it's rechargeable, has a display for multiple adjustments, etc... a little cheaper is the GT3B, if you don't want a screen even cheaper. Tons of options, check the forums and youtube.

Do you have a sprectrum TX? The Amp usually comes with an ECX TX which will only bind to an ECX receiver:
www.horizonhobby.com/24ghz-receiver-waterproof--2-channel-v3-p-ecx13003
$15.99. You might find it cheaper on Ebay. I have both Flysky TX/RX that I mentioned and they are both upgrades over most TX under $100. Check youtube. They also have some US dealers that give warranties but the price is a few dollars(still worth it). The same stores will also give warranties on cheaper ESC/MOTOR COMBO (Brushed or BRUSHLESS) your choice. hobbypartz, hobbyking, etc... I will hopefully launch my store soon. Just like anything else most are knockoffs of name brands for less money. Check Youtube for AmP MT upgrades, Flysky Reviews, etc...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back