ECX AX10 steel axle fix.

VonDave

Hey guys!

As mentioned before, I mostly use these steel drive shafts or axles on my trucks:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000329818965.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.57ee4c4dvN6Dkt

The problem with the pin locking system on most of these types of axles is that the retaining spring is rather weak. That makes the spring expand, making room for the pin to get flung out and never to be found again...
Mind you, that usually happens when you have a high kv motor, but then again, you're gonna use steel axles with a brushless setup anyways, because the standard plastic ones will break very, very easily.

So to prevent this from happening, I've made a video showing you how to fix this issue.

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post them so I can answer them.

I forgot to zero out the calipers!!!! It's 0.32 inch!!!

-Dave

Last edited:
Nice job Dave on the repair of those CV joints. I also have some of those CV's although I haven't had problems with them yet. Again, nice job and, thanks for the video's.

Attachments

• 20210529_123656.jpg
    20210529_123656.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210613_200234.jpg
    20210613_200234.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10
OK...

An update...

I went out bashing with my oldest son, and guess what?
The axles held up on my Circuit, but the rear lower deck where the hinge pins sit, is now up for replacement.
The circular hole is now oval...
Fortunately I have a spare, but with this amount of force being put through the car, an aluminum upgrade is next I guess.

My Ruckus had a different problem.
It has a 2300kv motor, so I tend to use my 3s in it.
Well, I had an axle failure!
Yes, the fix in the above video did work, HOWEVER...
The axle PIN simply snapped...
So, I guess I'm looking for stronger pins, or maybe all different axles...

Gonna keep you updated...

-Dave

what i dont understand is y wont ecx or horizon fix the obvious long running issues with these things or offer the fix

Nice job Dave on the repair of those CV joints. I also have some of those CV's although I haven't had problems with them yet. Again, nice job and, thanks for the video's.

are those the badlands wheels with the removable center hub? I've been looking for better tires for my ruckus and thinking of going this way

what i dont understand is y wont ecx or horizon fix the obvious long running issues with these things or offer the fix

axles aren't a problem on stock power vehicles or even 2s lipo + gear setups. they are a problem on 3s brushless setups, but that's a TON more power than stock. It's meant to be an entry level platform. the more you upgrade power, the more you're going to break stuff. as you upgrade that stuff, the next weakest thing in the drivetrain breaks. every step up costs more money, sometimes exponentially so. It's this way in the 1:1 scale world too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back