Fathers Day 2020 brushless upgrade :)

netmatt

Looking at a new ESC, Brushless and Receiver for Father Day :)

A lot of the links on the upgrade post no longer work, so poking around.

Receiver:
I have a v4 controller, so I can get the ECX13009 Receiver as I understand it. (y)

ESC/Motor:
  • I saw the Tazer Twin, which would be good, but availability is backordered, so no time for Fathers Day.
  • The GoolSky stuff all seems to ship from China.
  • Saw this on Ebay and a few stories about this Surpass, good and bad...so a little risky, but not too much for the price: Ebay Link
Any other ideas on this? Gotta keep the costs reasonable for the kiddies (<75$). They ain't rich...neither am I.

Servo:
Seems a common/good servo upgrade: Amazon Link

It's the ECX AMP MT.

What KV rating is a good question. Right now my only upgrades has been to metal gearing, and aluminum steering blocks with new shoulder screws. So, I guess something as fast as I can without tearing up the stock servo, though that could be part of the upgrade above. In the meantime I am learning about this with things like: video At first I was just looking for "turns"...and figured 12T as that seems common.

It's the ECX AMP MT.

What KV rating is a good question. Right now my only upgrades has been to metal gearing, and aluminum steering blocks with new shoulder screws. So, I guess something as fast as I can without tearing up the stock servo, though that could be part of the upgrade above. In the meantime I am learning about this with things like: video At first I was just looking for "turns"...and figured 12T as that seems common.
I would suggest anywhere from 4000kv to 3000kv, if you want a well balanced motor with plenty of torque and tons of speed then go for the 4000kv, keep in mind you will need to adjust the slipper clutch so you dont snap your driveshafts. If you want a ton of torque with enough speed for fun, then go for the 3000kv. I have a 3000kv on 3s and man, it is almost too much torque Lol. It also depends on what battery you are running on. 2s or 3s lipo? And I suggest an Onyx Brushless system from horizon hobby, its $75 and no faults whatsoever and works great.

Looks like both the 3000kv and 4000kv are backordered to Late June. :( Thanks, I will poke around and see if I can find something similar in stock.

Gotta few suggestions for you for budget choices.

This esc is on clearance and is a fewer optioned rebrand Hobbywing esc https://www.redcatracing.com/products/69563r?variant=30993518788698

Or this esc, it is a new takeoff from a Redcat just another Hobbywing rebrand esc https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Rac...143050?hash=item33febd2e0a:g:sTAAAOSwEGBcNOz3

This would be a decent choice for a motor https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-PLUS-4-...686301?hash=item46aeff6e9d:g:MvEAAOSwyGZaALPH

The Surpass and Gool combos can work but reliability of the escs is hit and miss.

It's slim pickings out there right now because of the Corana virus and its effect on the supply chain.

I wouldn't get an all in one esc/motor combo like the Tazer twin, not upgradeable and if one of them dies you have to replace the whole thing, not just the motor or the esc.

That 20KG servo you linked won't fit without modifying it, it's too tall.

That servo is an excellent choice. This is my amp with that exact servo. Fast, metal gears and powerful. I have dropped one in my Traxxas and am playing with the 35kg in a Tekno buggy. Ill put it this way, the metal gear upgrade for the Traxxas servo was $20. That lasted 3 weeks. This servo is $20 with an aluminum servo horn. It is 4 months in and going strong.

I got lucky with a cheap Amazon brushless combo that isn't available anymore but they are hit or miss. 3600kv on 2s. More than enough power. On 3s its hard to keep down.

Order a bulkhead replacement. At some point you will need it. I am on my 4th one. There are no upgrades available for it and they are a weak spot. Maybe some RPM arms and carriers and the AMP is pretty bombproof.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 20200606_092432.jpg
    20200606_092432.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200606_092428.jpg
    20200606_092428.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 16

Receiver:
I have a v4 controller, so I can get the ECX13009 Receiver as I understand it. (y)

ESC/Motor:
  • I saw the Tazer Twin, which would be good, but availability is backordered, so no time for Fathers Day.
  • Saw this on Ebay and a few stories about this Surpass, good and bad...so a little risky, but not too much for the price: Ebay Link
Any other ideas on this? Gotta keep the costs reasonable for the kiddies (<75$). They ain't rich...neither am I.

Servo:

Receiver:

ESC/Motor:

Servo:
I just got a hobbywing for a 100$ off Amazon will have it in 3 days

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200608-085504_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200608-085504_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back