Finally!! 1st RC truck @ 45 - Newbie!

antfist13

Wow has RC changed since I wanted to get into it, but was never really able to buy one of the many Tamiya truck kits I wished for as a 10 year old, you don’t even have to build them anymore! Got the 9yr old boy an Amp MT kit for Christmas that we really enjoyed building together, which also helped is to see just how it all works and teaching him the value of some work, and i couldn’t let him RC alone, I ran out and grabbed a Ruckus this last week, prebuilt this time, to have to run. Had to use what I learned building it already in having to install a new 550 12T motor to replace the totally screwed stock 15T...the hobby shop took care of me and will deal with Horizon, they are great! So this thing literally skims across the lawn at 50% now and I am elated and looking to find a way to speed up / modify the Amp MT for the boy!

I did the same thing with my girls. bought one AMP MT kit to build with them because they were having so much fun with building legos, and thought it would be a fun winter project.

Several years later, we now have 2 trucks which we have converted to 3s LIPO brushless:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...r-combo-3000kv-3.5mm-bullet-ec3/ONXS0500.html

then we converted them to LCG Short Course trucks with the Extreme Racing extension kit:
http://www.rcsoup.com/2013/01/xtreme-lcg-chassis-for-the-ecx-torment-install/
(Had to also buy new suspension towers for this)

Then dropped new Proline Baja Bug bodies on them.

I recognize, i could have just bought 2 bad-a## short course trucks for what i have spent, but the process has been worth it. it has been a lot of fun to do step by step upgrade projects with the girls along the way.

Not to mention the broken parts we have had to replace once we upgraded to brushless! need to make sure you find some good wide open spaces if you do that - the trucks go well over 30 mph on 3s!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back