Got 'Pulled Over' by a Cop on my first speed run

ProjectBlu

For a little bit of backstory, I recently upgraded my (now) 5 year old Torment to a 4s system, it's super fun to drive and fast as hell. I also live in a fairly small town in Canada, so it being -10 meant that their was absolutely no one outside, not a single soul, which left the roads wide open for me.

This was the first time I've actually tested out the speed of this thing, I ran it briefly a few weeks ago but it immediately broke, and had to wait for new parts to come in.
Anyways, I'm having fun driving around the main streets popping wheelies and doing speed runs back and forth. Now since I don't have a body on my car, there is exposed wiring (from the esc and motor), and I don't have the proper tires either, running with the stock on the front and 2.2 Trenchers on the back (that are hella worn btw) so after I hit a certain speed the car stars to wobble and flips, sliding upside down for to long before it stops. I crashed like this a few times and everything seemed to still work fine.
Eventually I moved into the core of the town, next to the town hall, and was trying to drift around corners when I saw the black and white of a police car pull up across the main street, 15 feet away from me since it's a small main road.
I was expecting a, 'hey man you can't drive that here' or something along those lines. But he actually turned out to be super nice! We talked for about 10 minutes about the car and the costs that come with it and everything else you'd expect. He eventually asked how powerful it was, I showed him by doing a drive by, not full speed or else I'd lose control, but nonetheless he was impressed and asked how fast it went. I actually don't know, I've never done a speed test with the new parts. And the best part of the night. He pulled out his speed gun and said let's see!
After screwing one by losing control (didn't crash just wobbled a lot), I went again.

My second (and last) run was a little better, managed to get up to speed without crashing, until I had to break, then lost controls and basically totaled the car, because of the exposed wiring, the asphalt had shredded one connected the battery to the esc and the power switch wire, essentially turning off the car. That sucks.
After that, I did the walk (or jogg) of shame and went to pick up the car. When I came back to the cop he told me how fast I was going.
78kpm (or about 50mph)
It was exactly what speed I had predicted, Though I'm sure I could get some more speed by getting proper street tires, and a speed run body.

Now luckily I had saved my previous esc and kept it with me, so when I got back home I swapped them out, now have my old 2s esc on it. Feels slow but It still works fine.

Lessons learned
- Have proper tires that don't balloon and flip the car
- Have a protective body when doing high speed runs
- Don't be cocky.

Here's the damage, if you have any advice on how to fix it, that would be appreciated :) Don't want to buy a new one unless I have to!
20200204_013718.jpg

Thank you for reading!

so if you just want to fix the wiring you have a few options quick and easy electrical tape wrapped around a few times. works not efficient or clean. Second if you have good enough hands is cut the wire just below the damage strip off some of the plastic wrap exposing wires and use three different options
1. wire nut both sides easy quick cheap might come off
2. use a heat shrink wire cover over a generic wire wrap to waterproof dust proof but not much of a connection
3. use a wire clip to attach the wires then put a piece of heat shrink wrap over that good connection and waterproof

whenever it comes to the wiring diagram itself, I have found you can use standard automotive electrical parts to put it back together.
If you have a sualdering device you can go to your local battery shop and purchase new 14 AWG wires to sualder into place of the damaged one. this is your best option to do but not many people have the equipment to repair these sualder points.

I mean as little insult as possible to @tlo1360, but I would avoid all of his suggestions except soldering new connections on. Any of those connection techniques will be intermittent at best and add resistance to the lines, causing heating. Soldering is the only repair that will be long lasting and worthwhile.

I mean as little insult as possible to @tlo1360, but I would avoid all of his suggestions except soldering new connections on. Any of those connection techniques will be intermittent at best and add resistance to the lines, causing heating. Soldering is the only repair that will be long lasting and worthwhile.
no insult taken actually thank you I did not realize the actual effects of treating the wiring the same possibly why I fried my second motor premature I was using an electrical tape on negative from ESC to Batt. and positive was a simple wire connector crimped on. So good to know on that if I run by anymore questions like this I will make sure to let them know to solder only.

Look for some tires like they run on packed clay buggies. Also, ESC leads can be had fairly cheap to solder in for replacements. I’ve had my parking lot basher M.Rage up over 60mph before it died. Was running some foam tires like for carpet racing.

The HobbyWing Max10 ESC is fairly easy to take apart to do repairs. I would just recommend soldering a replacement wire rather than band-aid fixing it. My Max 10 has 12g wire for the battery lead I believe and you can get replacement power switches on eBay for that wire

Latest posts

Members online

Back