Have I just been unlucky?

Tincanmemory

So I entered this hobby a few weeks back at the ripe old age of 35, thinking I would pick up a couple of inexpensive models first with a view to getting into it and then if I enjoy it and my kids get into it, I would then go out and buy a more expensive car.

I bought (both second hand) an Amp DB and a Ripmax husky that has been upgraded to brushless. In the first week the ESC on the Amp fried after a couple of runs up and down the concrete path in my garden and across a well maintained lawn.

Managed to replace with another stock ESC but then this evening, after maybe another half a dozen runs since I got he new ESC; the stock servo has packed up and I'm now trying to find a suitable replacement.

Have I just been unlucky or are these common parts to go? At least I can say I've learned quite a lot about rc in the last few weeks but do feel a bit disappointed at the apparent unreliability of parts. I've not even been able to get the cars out on open ground and really properly drive them as I also had a few issues with the Husky batteries and charger which, although I've now resolved, makes me feel a bit like I've wasted more money than I needed to and that I made a big mistake starting out with second hand cars.

Is it normal to have runs of bad luck like this with parts? I guess I'm maybe looking for reassurance that the reward is worth the initial hiccups and money.:(

So I entered this hobby a few weeks back at the ripe old age of 35, thinking I would pick up a couple of inexpensive models first with a view to getting into it and then if I enjoy it and my kids get into it, I would then go out and buy a more expensive car.

I bought (both second hand) an Amp DB and a Ripmax husky that has been upgraded to brushless. In the first week the ESC on the Amp fried after a couple of runs up and down the concrete path in my garden and across a well maintained lawn.

Managed to replace with another stock ESC but then this evening, after maybe another half a dozen runs since I got he new ESC; the stock servo has packed up and I'm now trying to find a suitable replacement.

Have I just been unlucky or are these common parts to go? At least I can say I've learned quite a lot about rc in the last few weeks but do feel a bit disappointed at the apparent unreliability of parts. I've not even been able to get the cars out on open ground and really properly drive them as I also had a few issues with the Husky batteries and charger which, although I've now resolved, makes me feel a bit like I've wasted more money than I needed to and that I made a big mistake starting out with second hand cars.

Is it normal to have runs of bad luck like this with parts? I guess I'm maybe looking for reassurance that the reward is worth the initial hiccups and money.:(
I think it's just part of owning a starter truck. They can be upgraded relatively inexpensively, but it takes a few bad runs to get them to a place that suits your needs. It's always a bummer when they break. I got my son an Amp MT btd for Christmas and then I bought one in February. We have been through 3 esc's, six servos, and one motor. I have upgraded mine extensively, but his I have tried to just make it tough. The electronics they start with are a little sub par, but part of the hobby is maintaining them. They are a great starting point.

You have been maybe a little unlucky, but honestly your mishaps are not that far from the norm. An Amp is $130 new. For that price you can buy a decent chassis without electronics, or a decent set of electronics. Expecting both is a delusion. And the Amp chassis is pretty good...

Well... you DID buy the car used. Also what xlDooM mentioned: The AMP is a VERY inexpensive 1/10 scale RC car. There's a reason why it's so inexpensive: the electronics. The chassis is exceedingly tough and I have raced both my ECX cars on an indoor (carpet over concrete) track and seen them crash horrifically. So far I've only broken the front pivot on the AMP.

The servo that comes with the car is a very inexpensive plastic-geared model. I have the Boost and AMP/Circuit and I quickly replaced the servos with faster, stronger metal-geared servos.

Enjoy!

Well... you DID buy the car used. Also what xlDooM mentioned: The AMP is a VERY inexpensive 1/10 scale RC car. There's a reason why it's so inexpensive: the electronics. The chassis is exceedingly tough and I have raced both my ECX cars on an indoor (carpet over concrete) track and seen them crash horrifically. So far I've only broken the front pivot on the AMP.

The servo that comes with the car is a very inexpensive plastic-geared model. I have the Boost and AMP/Circuit and I quickly replaced the servos with faster, stronger metal-geared servos.

Enjoy!

All fair comments, cheers guys. Thought I would update.

I managed to pick up a metal geared servo for about £8 off Amazon (Signstek Tower Pro MG995 Metal Gear 13 Killogram/55g High Speed & Torque Digi Servo with 2 Pcs servo horn Set (Long Arm , Sail Arm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0098MAKYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MGQxzbFJNJQ9G) thanks to a tip elsewhere on the forum. It's working great although the servo is for a 25t horn and I only had a 23t horn with my Amp so had to do a bit of craft knifing to get the one that came with the servo to fit as it was preventing the steering from turning full to the right.

Managed to give it a good run at the weekend at a national forest nearby (Cannock Chase), was great fun getting it dusty, muddy and wet and seeing what it could do. So far no problems that I've noticed, just itching to get it out again.

I also managed to pick up two almost brand new Maverick Ion 1/18 cars for around 30 quid each, I'll put a little review up on the other rc section.

All in all, after a few ups and downs, I'm definitely enjoying the hobby. I am tempted to upgrade the Amp to brushless though now as felt a bit underpowered on some of the terrain and driving up inclines. Anyone have experience of cheaper alternatives to the dynamite range? They seem a bit pricey here in UK.

If your talking about a brushless setup, check out some stuff by Goolrc... there fairly cheap. No there not very customizable, or the most powerful brushless setup - but for what you pay there pretty decent. I ran one I'm my AMP buggy for awhile before upgrading and giving it to my cousin who also runs it in his AMP.. its still running strong.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back