Help with sons AMP not running well

MagnusGtr

Hi all,

Looks for some guidance and help, my son got an AMP a couple years ago, and it worked really well for a short time before he started having problems with it - so he kind of shelved it.

He has started to want to use it again but it barely runs anymore. The main issue we can see is that it barely moves on concrete and flat surfaces, and won't even run when we take it across grass. We have done the basic things like change remote batteries and charged the car battery.

We are complete newbies to RC and the AMP, so any help would be appreciated om where we can start trying to fix the issues.

Thanks,
Marcus

When you say it "barely" runs, does it try to move? Does the steering work? Does it make a high pitch slipping sound when you squeeze the throttle?

Have you checked the slipper clutch? make sure it didn't back off too much.

The slipper clutch should be on the large spur gear, should see a small lock nut and spring on the end of the shaft.
15220957914971084134275.jpg

The steering seems fine, but when we try to accelerate the truck barely moves, if we start it on a road type surface it will move barely faster than walking speed, but if we start it on grass it won't move at all.

We haven't noticed any high pitch slipping around, but will listen out for it. Thanks for the tip on the gear, gives us a good place to start understanding the amp better.

At the moment the only thing my son is trying to do is play around with the settings on the remote.

I am not saying it is in fact the slipper clutch but it is a good possibility.
If he is cranking the adjustment dials on the radio, that could be it too.

It could be a few other things too, but start with the basics.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I knew what you meant about the gears and not necessarily the issue, but good place to start.

Is there a resource that explains what all the dials on the remote do?

What we noticed as well is when the car is off the ground the wheels seem to be running ok when you throttle, but as soon as it touches the ground it will barely go.

Could it be a battery issue?

MagnusGtr, when the truck is off the ground, as you stated, when you throttle up holding the truck, does the rear tires balloon at full throttle? If they do, you might have a slipper clutch issue or differential issue. If they don't, you might have a battery issue. What type of battery are you using? And also, it's not a good idea to run in grass, especially with a brushed motor, assuming your Amp is stock. It's possible that you might also have a motor issue. As far as the radio goes, there might be a throttle adjustment on it that might be set to the lowest speed. Also, the ESC might be programed to training mode. You also might have pinion spur gear miss alignment or a striped spur gear. Check these thinks out one by one and I do believe you will find your sons Amp problem. Good luck, and there are a lot of people here that can help you with your rc problems.

Thanks @weave,

Thanks for all the tips. The tyres don't balloon, real issue is basically trick do3sn move.

We will work through your suggestions, the AMP is stock so it's still got stock battery and ESC. We will have to work through using the remote and then checking the battery and esc.

Members online

No members online now.
Back