How to store cars?

kontu

Hey all,

Of course now I have 3 cars. Two ECX Ruckus' and a Traxxas Slash 2wd. I'm in need of information on how to store these things when I'm not driving them (one Ruckus is really just a backup / let the nieces/nephews drive it kind of car, so won't be used terribly much).

Tires on or off?
Hang them on the wall from a bumper?
Build some shelving for them?
Hang them with harnesses from the ceiling?
Hide them on top of the ceiling fan we don't use so my wife doesn't find out?

How do you all store your cars, both in terms of what parts you leave on (I suspect it's just tires off, rest on), and storage method like shelving etc.
Battery storage isn't an issue, I've got that system dealt with from flying quadcopters anyways.

Hide them on top of the ceiling fan we don't use so my wife doesn't find out?

This is always a must! You are still young in your collection, but there will come a time when she notices how much you have or that you got something new and awkward conversations will be had. Ofcourse that largely depends on how cool your wife is. :ROFLMAO:

My recommendation is to find something like wood blocks or boxes to put your RCs on so that the tires are off the ground and your suspension can sit without load. Also, keep up on the storage charge for your batteries.

Definitely store the cars propped on a block or work stand so the tires are not touching the floor. I left a car sitting on the floor for a few months and the tires developed flat spots! Nothing permanent as they returned to round after a few scorching laps on the carpet at a recent race. :)

If you're using LiPo batteries use the "storage" charge setting on your charger to get them to about 3.8V per cell. This isn't critical so long as the battery charge is around 40-60%. You can store LiPos at a partial charge for a loooooong time. You just don't want to store LiPos at full for longer than a couple of days or at too-low a charge-- either condition will damage the battery and reduce its service life. I have two 2S LiPo packs that have partial "storage" charge that have been unused for almost a year with no apparent loss of charge! LiPos are fantastic this way.

NiMh batteries? Storage charge doesn't matter as they will quickly self-discharge without suffering any damage.

Thanks for the reply beej. Batteries are under control, been treating lipo's right and with respect for a number of years due to the flying hobbies. I cut up some 6"x6" I had leftover into 6x6x5" pieces and am using those to set the cars on.

Now i'm trying to figure out if I want paddle tires for snow driving this winter! It'll be mostly ice, so I might just wing it with the heavy offroads I already have on the cars

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back