I'm sure it's been asked many times....

HondaRacer

Hey guys. Newbie here, I need some help.

So my 10 year old son saved and saved and bought himself a 1/10 Ruckus 2WD with a brushed motor. His first good RC car. It ran great and we were impressed. We broke it in properly and we're using the original 1800 mah battery along with a 3300 he bought.

Fast forward 6 months... after breaking off the wires where they solder to the motor lugs we removed the magnets. I've soldered both wires on a few times. Our latest problem is that the car runs at only about half speed and for a short time before it slows to a stop. The first time it did this we could smell the motor running very hot every time the car passed us. I've learned how to reset the transmitter travel limits so I think it's getting full throttle from the tx.

This car has very few hours on it and we take good care of the batteries. Could it be the motor needs replacing? How can I test the battery, ESC or motor with a VO meter to confirm what the problem is? The only other info I can provide is that he likes driving it thru the water and got it into some sandy mud one day, so that definitely could have gotten into the motor a bit.
I have not taken it apart but can do so for photos, tests, etc.

It runs now, but slow. Thanks!

You can test the battery with a simple multimeter. Check the fully charged voltage and the end of run voltage. You can check the motor by hooking it up straight to the battery on a medium to full charge. Be sure the wheels are off the deck first.

It's possible the battery and/or motor are dying. If you go lipo be sure to get a lipo charger that has balance capabilities. For a new motor, similar would be easiest. No need to turn him loose with a $100+ brushless setup just yet.

First i would grab yourself a new brushed motor. Keep to around 15T or if you can find one drop a bit lower for more top end. Should be a cheap easy fix.

Then maybe this, http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/shop/c...ecx-boost-2wd-ruckus-2wd-circuit-2wd-torment/

Then i would suggest a much bigger battery, if sticking with nimh try and find a 5000+ to give yourself a half decent run time.

If you can find the money then look for a lipo battery charger combo, stick with 2S , make sure the dimensions are ok and buy a lipo charging bag to protect you and yours. Grab a $1 lvd off ebay, they are a usful tool for a quick check at how much charge is in the lipo and can be run inside the vejicle so you dont overdrain your lipo and risk a fire.

Other than that, as a basher for a child new to the hobby id get some decent bumpers and then just save the rest of the upgrades for when he wants a bigger or better truck.

A new motor is around $12 and you will eventually need it, so I'd just buy it and see what gives? I like the HPI firebolt 15T.

I'd echo what the other guys have already said.

That, and welcome to the site!

The batteries and ESC check out okay so it must be the motor. When I connect the battery directly to the motor I only get the same 1/2 speed.
And we'll look to upgrade to the LiPo soon. The servo saver looks like a great add-on as well.
Thanks for the pointers guys. We'll be back on the trail in no time.
I'll try to have him stay out of the mud.

Latest posts

Members online

Back