Integy cooling fan mounted on Amp motor

Jeb

I was having trouble with my motor getting way too hot and cooking motor bearings. I reduced the pinion from a 22t back to the original 18t which helped some, but at the track last night it was still getting hot enough I couldn't touch it for more than 2 seconds and I noticed the dreaded bearing play coming back in the motor. I decided to try a cooling fan. The integy will not fit as designed, but with a little hacksaw and file work it will fit. Basically had to make a notch around the exit of the wires on the motor. The heat sink fits perfect, but the fan is a little offset. I'll do a little temperature testing with and without the fan to see if it actually helps. The kit does not come with a receiver plug. I took one apart from an old cooked servo and soldered the wire to the clips inside the plug. Works great so far.
IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3236.JPG IMG_3237.JPG

Interesting setup. It's hard to see, is the fans air flow being directed at the heatsink somehow? It looks like an inefficient design.

Unrealted question: What springs are you using on the shocks?
T4 associated kits for front and back. Still sorting it out. Running 35 weight oil in front and 40 in the back. Every time I successfully lower the truck bad things happen on the big table top jump. Litterally ripped the rear suspension arm out of the suspension mount. Just tapped a screw in the mount to keep the suspension arm pin from pulling out. It's held for a month now.

IMG_3302.JPG IMG_3303.JPG IMG_3302.JPG I have been monitoring motor temps. The fan was lowering engine temp by about 10 degrees, but I ripped the wiring harness out in a crash and haven't remounted it. Temps without it have been in the 155-158 range after a 10 lap race which is actually okay. I discovered that the bigger issue was running Tamiya 48p pinions which happen to be metric and don't equate to 48 teeth per inch. Actually closer to 42t per inch. American gears are Imperial. I have no idea why they are labelled the same. In any case, I believe this to be a significant player in motor temp and motor bearing wear. I wrote more in my 4000kv torque and gearing thread. Here's some picks of what the motor was doing to the aluminum pinions on a plastic spur.

I just changed mine to how you have your because it wont fit the other way since I put on a wheelie bar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back