Just upgraded to brushless, anything else I should do?

Trackstar_Torment

Hey guys,
I just finished upgrading to a brushless power system. My ECX Torment 2wd is now powered by the Turnigy Trackstar 13.5t brushless system and has steel driveshafts and a metal gearbox. Just wondered if there's anything else I should do to like, the pinion or the spur gear?
Thanks!

I took it out for a test run this morning and the pinion stripped the spur gear. Even when I adjusted the slipper clutch and backed it off 1 1/4 turns and set the gear mesh. I figured either I didn't adjust the slipper clutch right, or I didn't have the correct spur/pinion combination. Anyways, I could tell that it was going much slower than I thought it would as brushless, so it most likely was the spur/pinion. Can anyone recommend a better spur/pinion combination? Also, if it matters, I run 2s LiPo with it.:)

No, the "pitch" refers to the number of teeth per inch. 32-pitch teeth are much thicker than the 48-pitch that came with your truck. So the 32 pitch, 58 t pinion will probably be a similar diameter to a 48 pitch 87 t spur.

I think you must not have set your pinion/spur mesh correctly. I raced my ECX Circuit indoors on carpet (very high traction) with the stock plastic gears (including the plastic transmission gears) WITH a plastic pinion running a HW 13.5T motor. Never had any trouble.

You can use the old trick of placing a piece of regular paper (such as you might feed through an average inkjet printer--24lb weight)between the spur and pinion and pressing the pinion up against the spur as you tighten the motor mounting screws. When you remove the paper this will leave (in theory) just the right amount of play-- not too much and not too little.

I set the gear mesh with the classic paper trick on that run that stripped the spur gear, so I'll get the 32 pitch gears and try those. Also, should I set the gear mesh any different for the 32 pitch gears?

Where do you get these 32 pics gears? The only ones I can find are 48p.

I stripped my spur gear as well on the first run (SW4 5700kv). I'm not certain I had the motor set in on the gear completely perfectly. I had sort of a hard time getting the motor in, in the first place.

I figured out the slipper part. So can someone tell me the proper way to set the slipper? Do you tighten the nut all the way down and then back it off a certain amount of turns?

This was definitely my problem. I think the slipper was way too loose.

That how to is pretty spot on for your set up. I run 3s and a higher kv 4 pole motor, and I set my slipper slightly looser, front tires go 2 to 3 inches off the ground. Never had an issue with 48p, I set it little tighter then the paper method. I do use paper on 32p gears. Also, don't be surprised from the noise the 32p gears make, it'll be louder then the 48p. Not too much louder, but you'll be able to hear it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back