LIPO battery discharge rate

nwmlarge

I have just picked up a set of LIPO batteries which are 3000 and 3250 respectively.

The discharge rate is 20c.

My drift car has 120c batteries

What is the difference in terms of run time?

20c is very low discharge rate unless your using it for brushed motors I would go with higher C rated batteries. Mah and C rate go hand in hand for indication of the available amp discharge rate of a lipo. Example 1000mah x 20c = 20a discharge rate. 2s 5000-5200mah lipos with a higher than 20c rate can be had less than $20 (Zeee, Goldbat etc.)

The discharge rate, expressed as "C" has nothing to do with the capacity, expressed as mAh (milli Amp hours). Your run-time will depend on the the power requirements of your electronics: motor, esc, servo, any attached lights or other accessories.

The "C" rating provides information on the continuous current the battery is able to provide during use. Most LiPo batteries can be charged at a 1C rate, with some, more expensive batteries claiming 2C or higher charge rates (but 1C is the safest and best for your battery). The formula @Heyitsme provided is correct. For most non-competition uses 20C is sufficient. The Venom 5000 mAh 20C batteries I have can provide 100 Amps of continuous current which is more than enough for my Circuit truck.

In my ECX Amp truck, with a 5000 mAh LiPo battery and otherwise stock electronics (540 20T brushed motor, 5 volt servo, ESC/Rx) I could drive the truck at almost full throttle for 40 minutes before noticing a drop-off in power and speed.

I run 25C LiPos, both 2S & 3S in my brushless AMP. They run pretty well, but I wouldn't want to go any lower. I know I am running at about the lowest C that I can get away with. Higher C rates are more expensive and I am all about saving $.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back