Making ones own body? Opinions.

WithinU

Hi gang, I am from the midwest, I have been looking at converting one of my old Torments into a dirt modified. Not really to race, as the closest track is 2+ hrs away. Anyhoo, I have seen some discussion on this in other threads.
I would like to try and make (cut, bend, bolt together) my own modified body. I have been looking at the ones you can buy, but my god they are $100+.

If I go down that road, any tips and or advice? Do they sell the plastic in sheets, is it easy to bend, is it easy to drill?

Thank you slick for replying. Yeah I am not sure just how in depth I wanna go with the whole body making.
IMCA modified bodies would be fairly easy to make? I think.
Like the link you posted, I am not beyound purchasing one of those, Salvas makes a nice body as well, or should I say a "kit", all one has to do is either paint it or wrap it, and then bolt it together, it's all pre-cut and pre-formed. I just thought it would be a challenge to make something myself.
I know I tossed around the word plastic, but plastic does or could cover a lot of variances. I know it's called polycarbonate or lexan sheets. I was just curious if anyone had any experiences in this type of body creation, vacuum forming is a whole other animal and very involved from molds heat, to vacuuming. I may look into that type of stuff too, just not right now.
If I were ever to get into something like that, would there be any requests from members? Body styles, trucks, cars, buggies? Just curious, not saying it WILL happen, but you never know.
I have been looking into printing vinyl wraps for specific bodies, again mainly modified bodies or late models, but could flow over to regular rc lexan bodies as well. I find the vacuum forming stuff intriguing.

Last edited:
Thank you slick for replying. Yeah I am not sure just how in depth I wanna go with the whole body making.
IMCA modified bodies would be fairly easy to make? I think.
Like the link you posted, I am not beyound purchasing one of those, Salvas makes a nice body as well, or should I say a "kit", all one has to do is either paint it or wrap it, and then bolt it together, it's all pre-cut and pre-formed. I just thought it would be a challenge to make something myself.
I know I tossed around the word plastic, but plastic does or could cover a lot of variances. I know it's called polycarbonate or lexan sheets. I was just curious if anyone had any experiences in this type of body creation, vacuum forming is a whole other animal and very involved from molds heat, to vacuuming. I may look into that type of stuff too, just not right now.
If I were ever to get into something like that, would there be any requests from members? Body styles, trucks, cars, buggies? Just curious, not saying it WILL happen, but you never know.
I have been looking into printing vinyl wraps for specific bodies, again mainly modified bodies or late models, but could flow over to regular rc lexan bodies as well. I find the vacuum forming stuffing intriguing.

I made these body panels out of 3mm Lexan sheet, the hardest part was getting the bends right, I had to make a jig for the hood panel.

20200517_212253.jpg

20200628_163835.jpg

Ummmmm I am lovin the camo..... roflmao🤭

Please tell me you made the cage.......🤘

Latest posts

Members online

Back