Metal gears

Denner

Hey guys I'm going to copy my diff gears and the spur gear using my mini mill this weekend using a hardened metal that I've yet to decide on. Has anyone done this them selves and does anyone have any suggestions on what metal to use

So I was able to do the differential gears for both ends in under and hour! Got super excited and installed with out taking photos and am going to take it out now and run a few battery packs through it as it seems fine ripping around my work shop. Also ordered all new bearings and am using the traxxas vxl3m system in this rig. Fingers crossed. Oh and if this works it cost me about 8 dollars lol

Ok 4 1750mah battery packs through it and running like a freakin dream. I have bearings and some lipos coming in tomorrow so when I disassemble for the bearings I will post pictures of the metal diff gears I fabricated. Now you should be able to find local ppl/business that will mill these for you, all you do is bring the original ones as long as thy are in good shape and they basically just copy them but in the metal of your choice. Ask them what they honk will be a good tough metal to use. By far the best way to do this upgrade so far in my opinion. They will even be able to dog bones for you if you have the measurements you want. Will run this for a week after bearings installed and update the progress.

If I were you I would keep spur gears stock because If they are metal it makes a lot of noise and it's hard to keep them lubricated and that will cause problems. Plus you have to have something other than your new metal gears shredding. I've had it happen with mine that I baught from ECX and it doesn't look nice at all and you risk ruining your gear housing too from chunks of metal. It was terrible. Unless you have slipper adjusted correctly it should be fine. I never do.

If I were you I would keep spur gears stock because If they are metal it makes a lot of noise and it's hard to keep them lubricated and that will cause problems. Plus you have to have something other than your new metal gears shredding. I've had it happen with mine that I baught from ECX and it doesn't look nice at all and you risk ruining your gear housing too from chunks of metal. It was terrible. Unless you have slipper adjusted correctly it should be fine. I never do.

Thanks I did decide to leave it plastic just geared down a bit. I did change the diff gears to metal which seemed great but broke my leg really badly and haven't run it since the initial 4-6 battery packs I ran threw it. When I'm more mobile I will run it again then do a step by step video of what I did.

Thanks I did decide to leave it plastic just geared down a bit. I did change the diff gears to metal which seemed great but broke my leg really badly and haven't run it since the initial 4-6 battery packs I ran threw it. When I'm more mobile I will run it again then do a step by step video of what I did.

Aw man that sucks hope you heal up fast to tear up the yard some more.

Members online

No members online now.
Back