Metal spur gear????

RcTaT

Hi all, had amp mt for my son for a while now, but wanted to try a metal spur gear, as stripped a few plastic ones now we have recently gone brushless but not sure on where to start.

I want the same 87t but what brand do I use and what slipper pads, hope someone can help me with this, been reading a lot on the forum about gearing and think I’m getting bit confused as never really bothered changing any gearing in previous rc’s!

I’m in the uk ?? if that helps

I want to go brushless too. I currently have the stock Dynamite Tazer 380 motor in my buggy. How often do you strip the gears?

Discussion is about the 1/10 2wd AMP. You have 1/18 Roost not the same thing being discussed here.

Once I get my mesh right and make sure the motor bolts are tight I never stripped a plastic spur. Don't run too tight of a sipper either and unless you skate park send it you shouldn't be stripping spurs.

Go with metal if you want still doesn't help your underlying cause of stripping the stock plastic spur. The stock plastic spur may not be made of the best plastic but still should last unless something else is wrong or not set right.

Last edited:
Once I get my mesh right and make sure the motor bolts are tight I never stripped a plastic spur. Don't run too tight of a sipper either and unless you skate park send it you shouldn't be stripping spurs.

Go with metal if you want still doesn't help your underlying cause of stripping the stock plastic spur. The stock plastic spur may not be made of the best plastic but still should last unless something else is wrong or not set right.
Oh ok I am picking a new plastic spur up later today, so will triple check everything and see what happens, will also put some locktite on motor screws

RcTaT, I changed to hard steel spur an pinion gears on my AMP, in fact I changed all my Rc's to hard steel gearing, I was going through plastic spurs at least one a week. Now all my Rc's are brushless motors and 3S 7000 mAh batteries and do about 70 mph and wheelies, so they go through a lot of abuse. Most of our racing is done on asphalt (and sometimes dirt). Metal gearing is a little more noisier then plastic gearing but putting some good quality grease on the gears will quite them down some what. I have not had any more problems with spurs or pinions anymore. I want to say that if you go to a hard steel spur, make sure you go with a hard steel pinion. If you match hard steel with soft steel (low carbon or mild steel) you will eat the mild steel. This all depends on what you want to do with your RC's, if you are going to stay stock then plastic is fine. In the RC world we do all kinds of modifications to our vehicles, some minor, some drastic. Which every way you go, just have fun and experiment, that's why it's called a hobby. Here are some mods I did on my AMP and Sent on.

20190113_200425.jpg20190108_163305.jpg20190108_163249.jpg20190108_163036.jpg20190108_163139.jpg20190316_160402.jpg20190316_160405.jpg20190323_145858.jpg20190323_145810.jpg20190323_145738.jpg

While I agree that a steel spur gear is not necessary for most hard driving situations (as long as the gears are meshed properly), I do in fact run a steel gear as we do tons of skate park bashing. One piece of advice would be to loosen your slipper slightly if you do run a steel spur as it will be a little more forgiving on the next weakest link in your drivetrain if you do land under power. The beauty of a plastic spur is that they are quick and easy to change, unlike your differential, and cheaper and still easier to replace than your axles.

If this is a rig that you’re serious about bashing the daylight out of I’d go with a metal geared differential, aluminum axles (or steel CVD’s) and aluminum wheel hexes, and a hardened pinion gear (in that order) to go along with that metal spur gear. I run a Castle SCT 3800 combo and since I made these changes the only things I’ve needed to replace are batteries.

That's the way to go Keil. I love this hobby, I'm a retired journeyman machinist (45 years) and do make some of my own upgrade parts, things you just can't get, to make the vehicle better then factory and to add a little more stamina. It's a lot of fun for me and I do a lot of repairs for the kids (and some adults too). Also Keil, another advantage of a harden steel spur, is it will absorb a lot of heat away from the slipper clutch, which plastic won't do.

Latest posts

Members online

Back