My kid’s stock ECX Amp only goes reverse, please help me figure this out as well as upgrades if I have to replace transmitter and ECX

Rockstead

So we were having a blast with this AMP, so far I’ve been able to figure out little things here and there when something comes apart but I don’t know how to get around this one, it will I let go in reverse.

I stopped by my local hobby store and as a quick fix, he had me reverse the red/black wires so that it only goes forward, so at least we got some more fun out of it.

I included pictures

This is what I have

ECX AMP Monster RC ECX03028T1, I assume with Brushed motor since it’s stock.

Imax B6 v2 charger

2 x 5000mah 8.4 NiMH batteries

Stock transmitter and ECX and everything else

1. Is there anything note I can diagnose before saying that a part needs to be replaced?

2. If the transmitter / ECX has to be replaced, what do you recommend I go with, I guess it makes sense to go with something LIPO compatible but not sure if I will switch over because then it will just break more, but nice to have the option, as well as brushless, whatever that means

3. It would be cool if the reverse didn’t wobble.

4. It would be cool if I could do tighter turns.

5. Headlights would be cool.

6. I attached an image of that wheel that doesn’t stay attached, that little metal bar has come out a few times and I’m not sure hot to fix it better.

7. Hobby store guy said I should ignore forums and just charge my batteries at a voltage as high as my charger will allow, I kept reading that I should surpass half of the capacity, so a 5000nimh should be charged at 2.5 and that’s what I’ve been doing to reduce heat but he said just forget that, who’s right / wrong here?

8. The hobby shop guys recommended some stuff but I don’t really understand it, wanted to run it by other people here. Spectrum stx2 + speed control, Brushless combo, Dynamite taser. Not sure how this all works together.

Save me from making any mistakes please, just a car for having fun with my son but I’d like to grow a bit in the Hobby and maybe eventually buy a racing car or a drone or plane and have more stiff to do with the kids.

[pictures of issues with ECX Amp](https://imgur.com/a/tCuKJU7)

Try flipping the switch at the top left of the radio. It looks like your throttle is set to Reversed, try switching it to Normal. Don't forget to put the motor wires back to normal.

For 6., you can buy a Traxxas replacement part that will stay on when you take off the wheels.

Try flipping the switch at the top left of the radio. It looks like your throttle is set to Reversed, try switching it to Normal. Don't forget to put the motor wires back to normal.

For 6., you can buy a Traxxas replacement part that will stay on when you take off the wheels.

Sorry it’s not the wheel, I don’t know the right name but it’s the arm that is holding the wheel, it’s held in place by a metal pin and the pin slips out.

For the reverse issue, everything is like that right now becusse the hobby store guy reversées the wires so that instead of only being able to go reverse, it can now only go forward in the way that it’s setup, just so that we can continue to use it until we figure out replacement parts to order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it’s not the wheel, I don’t know the right name but it’s the arm that is holding the wheel, it’s held in place by a metal pin and the pin slips out.

There's a plastic hex that goes over the pin -- it's supposed to stay over the metal pin, but if you use the stock plastic hex it usually gets stuck in the wheel rather than stay on the car. Check your wheel, it's probably stuck in the wheel rather than stay on the car.

That plastic hex can be replaced by Traxxas part # 1654 so that it stays on the pin rather than come off in the wheel.

There's a plastic hex that goes over the pin -- it's supposed to stay over the metal pin, but if you use the stock plastic hex it usually gets stuck in the wheel rather than stay on the car. Check your wheel, it's probably stuck in the wheel rather than stay on the car.

That plastic hex can be replaced by Traxxas part # 1654 so that it stays on the pin rather than come off in the wheel.

I found the name of the part and I don’t think we are talking about the same part, I’m referring to
ECX1092 Front/Rear Suspension Mount Set: 1/10 2WD, but I noticed it has a little built in screw that tightens the space so that the pin stays in and on one side it wasn’t tight.

Hello Rockstead, yes that part is a common problem that you are experiencing. The question is are you able to replace the part yourself? It's fairly easy to replace that part, but, it takes some time to replace it. I can tell you step by step, but I'd be writing a book as more then a few other parts need to be removed. I would recommend to go online and download the parts view for your Amp, Torment, or Amp Crush, the rear suspensions are the same accept for the rear bumper and bumper parts. As far as the reverse wobble goes, that's a common with the Amp and other ECX entry level vehicles. You can eliminate 70 percent of that wobble by upgrading the servo saver. You ask about upgrades for your Amp and I can tell you there are a lot. The Amp is a great MT when its upgraded, its just about what you want to do. Here is what I have done to my and others that I have. As you can see the possibility's are endless. Oh, and I'm 75 years old and kids are always calling me, "lets go race" and I'm outside in a flash. Enjoy the hobby Rockstead, it's a blast and lots of fun.

Screenshot_20190109-164724_Photo Editor.jpg20180313_170721.jpg20180411_174758.jpg20180418_140932.jpg20180513_164554.jpg20180522_182519.jpg

Part#'s for a few upgrades.

Traxxas 3643 Turnbuckles for front & rear camber
Traxxas 3644 Turnbuckles for front steering
Traxxas 3678 wheelie bar
ECX9001 Metal trans gears
Hot Racing ECT4806 Steering Bellcrank (Best)or RPM 73492 Servo Saver Eliminator (Good)
Fan & heat sink
Hot Racing HRASECT887 Spur Gear 87T
Hot Racing HRASECT288X06 Driveshafts
Hot Racing ECT2806 Front Shock Tower
Hot Racing ECT1906 Caster Blocks
Hot Racing ECT2106 Steering Knuckles
Hot Racing ECT2206 Rear Knuckles
RPM 70582 Front Arms
RPM 70462 Rear Arms
RPM 70672 Gear Cover

All looks good except, I would go with Hot Racing ECT5606 rear suspension arms (23.88 Ebay) and Hot Racing ECT5506 front suspension arms ( 23.88 Nitro Hobbies). I would try to stay away from the plastic, polyethylene parts if possible.

I doubt they will bend, I race on our indoor track which is asphalt and have never bent my aluminum suspension arms. They are very heavy duty. They are 6.06mm thick shy of being a 1/4 inch. I can't even bend them with my hands, and believe me I have tried.

I know they will bend. It's not if they bend its when they bend I have to spend $50 to replace instead of $20. It's not cost effective for me. Unless you have run our track I am sure you wouldn't be able to appreciate the size of the jumps.Screenshot_20190826-080449_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20190826-080407_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20190826-080257_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:
Yes your right, that is compacted clay dirt. So Rockstead, so in the images are some of my old plastic suspension arms. If you look closely you will notice the hinge pin holes on the right are elongated from jumping at are RC park. Our jumps are anywhere from 5 to 6 feet plus in the air and some time over the chain link fence, at full throttle. I was constantly changing out front and rear suspension arms, to the point where I would stock 6 sets for repairs. Now I have my own hobby shop and stock all my own parts. Since I have upgraded to the Hot Racing arms I and my customers (the kids and some adults) we don't have the above problem anymore. We have never bent a Hot Racing aluminum suspension arm. Not saying they wont break, they are an aluminum alloy and could snap if hit the right way, but bend, no way. Anyway like i said in other posts, I'm a retired machinist and make some of my own parts and am in the process of modifying the plastic suspension arms to use the Traxxas and DHK screw-in hinge pins. I machined two sets (front and rear) for Torment and they seem to be working out just fine. So what ever you upgrade too, enjoy the hobby and have fun.

20190827_005911[1].jpg20190827_005555[1].jpgRC jumps Calabassas.jpgRC jumps Calabassas2.jpgRC jumps Calabassas3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back