Need to upgrade old 2wd brushless ruckus for bashing

deezdrama

Ive had my brushless 2wd ruckus since early 2016. It sat for the past couple years but recently pulled it out of retirement after a kid at work started bashing his slash after work. We now have 3-4 people regularly bashing in the field outside of our job after work and ive been bitten by the rc bug again.
So we have a dirt hill we are jumping and landing in the grass, getting a pretty good amount of air. In the past few weeks he has spent around $300 replacing and upgrading parts for his slash while my ruckus has took zero breakage untill today .... and i didn't really break anything - just lost the oil in my front shocks.

Anyway, This ruckus is still stock and the steering has gotten worse and sloppy and snakes in reverse, everything is just wore out.
Im looking for advice on parts to get and how to setup for some parking lot bashing/jumping.

I think since its brushless it has the metal geared trans already if I remember right.
Basically just need suggestions/ parts list to get a solid basher.

Shock upgrade/what weight oil?
If I upgrade esc can I run 3s? (my stock esc has took damage and nolonger water resistant and acts wonky)
Do I need new servo for better steering? I remember something about a zip tie mod for reverse wobbles
I almost ordered hot racing axles since that's only part ive broken before, but read alot of bad reviews about them..... whats best options for rear axles?
I probably need to replace bearings or hubs altogether.

I stripped a wheel and was going to order 2.8 proline trenchers on desporados (will these fit?) but also wondering if theres any slightly larger options?

Could anyone just list what they would upgrade if building a dedicated basher/jumper....thanks!

that's a nice setup!
Heres pics of my list of parts so far.
What im confused about or not is if my black brushless 2wd ruckus from 2016 has metal gears or if that's something else I need to get.
Also... the hot racing driveshafts seem to have alot of reports of breaking, wondering if I should try the ones I found on ebay in third pic?
(Ill probably have to grind a flat on the shafts for them to fit)
Not sure if Ill need a special horn for the new servo, and also wondered if anyone could recommend a good replacement esc that would support a 3s motor upgrade down the road?

Ive been into RC bashing for 5-6 years but only just replaced broken parts and never really dug in and upgraded things so its all a little overwhelming.
I have a 2wd brushed slash that I thought about just swapping my ruckus tazer setup into and would be alot cheaper but the ruckus has been really durable and reliable so debating on what to do.
Also- I had a 1/6 scale redcat shredder brushless 4wd before but sold it..... debating on whether to upgrade the ruckus, swap into the slash, or just buy another 1/6 scale shredder and use it as decent big scale basher to build off of.
Uggggggg.... the rc hobby is not good for my ocd. LOL
Been looking at parts for about 6 hours straight

Attachments

• 20190817_110518.jpg
    20190817_110518.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190817_110611.jpg
    20190817_110611.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190817_111711.jpg
    20190817_111711.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 7
Well.... Ive bought all the parts.
Wondering if i need balljoint type screws for the traxxas steering linkage and turnbuckles to connect to?

Also .... Still wondering if this tazer esc can handle 3s? If not ...what should I upgrade to?

Attachments

• 20190817_165154.jpg
    20190817_165154.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 6
Just FYI:
You will always have some reverse wobble. Being trailing arm makes it more stable forward, but wobbly in reverse. But extra loose links makes the wobble worse. Try not to tighten the front end up too much or you’ll break other stuff. The plastic fixed links are nice in that they’ll just pop off in a bad hit. Captured ends and adjustable links transfer the shock to the arms and suspension towers.

Yeah i debated long and hard over this. Ive popped those links several times and its nice just to be able to pop them back on and go but the steering system has just too much slop anymore. Ive ordered the slash turnbuckles. Might regret it but too late now

Yeah i debated long and hard over this. Ive popped those links several times and its nice just to be able to pop them back on and go but the steering system has just too much slop anymore. Ive ordered the slash turnbuckles. Might regret it but too late now
I’ve done the same. But with the fixed, they stretch when they pop. From time to time just replace them and they will be some what tighter.

Latest posts

Members online

Back