New motor, 4WS, loud, new rims, tires! (My build log)

BIGWORM

I bought a epic 1/18th motor. It was silent when I ran it to sand down the spline so the pinion would fit.

I reversed my tranny and put it back. My gear mesh looks same as stock?

Yet the pinion and spur gear are very very loud. If I run it about as slow as stock, it’s pretty quiet.

But WOT, it sounds sooo loud. Louder than any other rc or motor upgrade I’ve done.

I don’t see any binding at all yet my run time is down half of what it was. Which makes me think somethings binding.

Any suggestions?

Holy cats that's loud! I still have the stock motor in my Temper and I've discovered that the gear cover serves to amplify the transmission noise. When I place my finger on the gear cover, it quiets down somewhat.

It's currently not so annoying that I'm taking measures to quiet it, but one thing that has occurred to me is to apply a stick on weight or two to help damp vibrations in the cover.

You could also apply a small amount to white grease to the internal transmission gears to help further quiet the transmission noise.

Based on the noise and the fact that your run-time is greatly reduced makes me really suspect the final gear mesh. But you've said it seems okay.

If the motor is more powerful it'll certainly drain your battery faster.

I greased my gears which helps a lot with noise and better for gears. I also took the gear box cover off completely so I can inspect gear as needed. No need for a cover.

Thank you gentlemen. I received my servo mount and server reverser and y cable for the 4WS mod.

I’ll check things out again and report back on that and my 4WS!!

Well I removed the cover and adjusted the mesh again. It seems it’s my tranny making all that noise.

While looking into that I got 4WS working.

I just added an old 1/18th hiteck servo with double stick auto tape and it works perfectly.

The hi tech moves faster so the rear end really whips!

Get this. All I used was a y cable and the micro hi tech servo. And it works as seen.

I had purchased the turnagy servo reverser and using that caused it to crab walk.

I’ll tear the tranny apart next.

To be continued...

Ok, the sound wise it’s still loud with the new motor.

I added two 20kg servo’s and did my best to get 4WS working. The stock hub Horn is very thin. Everything metal is too thick to clear the linkage. This was my jerry rig until I can get another stock servo horn.

Body is next!

Video

Oh yeah, with the two new servos, I now needed the turnagy servo reverser. That’s what’s all bundled up in zip ties under electronics.

So for those doing 4ws, if you don’t use stock servos, you’ll need to mind the horns location.

My truck body lands tomorrow so hopefully I’ll have it pretty much complete for me.

Oh yeah, with the two new servos, I now needed the turnagy servo reverser. That’s what’s all bundled up in zip ties under electronics.

So for those doing 4ws, if you don’t use stock servos, you’ll need to mind the horns location.

My truck body lands tomorrow so hopefully I’ll have it pretty much complete for me.

I have the same servo as you and this servo horn will fit nicely https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...o-horn-25tfutaba-savox-protek-asc1363/p493940

As for your noise, there are two things you can try. Lightly grease the transmission. Check the pinion/spur gear mesh. My Temper got a lot quieter after I put some grease in. It got loud again after a few runs but the second time it had to do with the gear mesh. My motor shifted and the mesh got a little too tight. It took a few tries to get the mesh right since the spur gear isn't very round. I suggest you run the transmission with the motor on (but no drive shafts) at very very low speed. If you notice any sort of pulsing then keep checking the gear mesh till the pulsing is gone. That's how I got my Temper to quiet down.

I have the same servo as you and this servo horn will fit nicely https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-a...o-horn-25tfutaba-savox-protek-asc1363/p493940

As for your noise, there are two things you can try. Lightly grease the transmission. Check the pinion/spur gear mesh. My Temper got a lot quieter after I put some grease in. It got loud again after a few runs but the second time it had to do with the gear mesh. My motor shifted and the mesh got a little too tight. It took a few tries to get the mesh right since the spur gear isn't very round. I suggest you run the transmission with the motor on (but no drive shafts) at very very low speed. If you notice any sort of pulsing then keep checking the gear mesh till the pulsing is gone. That's how I got my Temper to quiet down.

Hey thanks for the tips! I admit, Im scared to open the tranny because I worry all the gears will fly out and of course I wont know how to put it back. Hopefully its easier than I think. I have some grease Id love to coat it will.

Yea that spur gear seems to slap my pinion gear every turn of the motor. Its like the natural turn of the motor turning is causing it to slap the gear as it moves. Its like the teeth slap each other every turn of the motor. I bought new pinion and spur gear so well see what I find.

Also tempted to try another motor. This one is just way too fast even with the power 50% down. Its got the power! But the crawling experience is way too twitchy for most people.

4WS also makes it somewhat uncontrollable with this motor too. That or the longer rear servo arm is turning the rear wheels much faster and with the super fast motor, it can get out of control quick.

I might try that 270 motor next.

TBC.

There are only 3 gears in the transmission and it's pretty obvious where each belong. You should be fine. I am sort of new to this and I had no problem.

I am also wondering if your motor shaft is perfectly parallel to the spur gear and if the pinion is perfectly centered on the motor shaft. You said you sanded the shaft down. If that didn't go perfectly, the pinion may be off by a bit and that can mess up the gear mesh

There are only 3 gears in the transmission and it's pretty obvious where each belong. You should be fine. I am sort of new to this and I had no problem.

I am also wondering if your motor shaft is perfectly parallel to the spur gear and if the pinion is perfectly centered on the motor shaft. You said you sanded the shaft down. If that didn't go perfectly, the pinion may be off by a bit and that can mess up the gear mesh

Thanks for the tips. I’ll tear it down soon and lube that tranny.

I got my cheap amazon body. It doesn’t look too bad!

Attachments

• 9FDDAF3E-99B2-437F-AF8F-6410FEE217AB.jpeg
    9FDDAF3E-99B2-437F-AF8F-6410FEE217AB.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 24
  • B50D8967-AF17-4DB8-BF25-B72A34591990.jpeg
    B50D8967-AF17-4DB8-BF25-B72A34591990.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 22
I bought a epic 1/18th motor. It was silent when I ran it to sand down the spline so the pinion would fit.

I reversed my tranny and put it back. My gear mesh looks same as stock?

Yet the pinion and spur gear are very very loud. If I run it about as slow as stock, it’s pretty quiet.

But WOT, it sounds sooo loud. Louder than any other rc or motor upgrade I’ve done.

I don’t see any binding at all yet my run time is down half of what it was. Which makes me think somethings binding.

Any suggestions?

Check to see the pinion isn' to tight on the spur gear. I maid that mistake with a stock motor and it made it louder. But not that loud!

Ok, the sound wise it’s still loud with the new motor.

I added two 20kg servo’s and did my best to get 4WS working. The stock hub Horn is very thin. Everything metal is too thick to clear the linkage. This was my jerry rig until I can get another stock servo horn.

Body is next!

Video
I have that same servo, i run my steerimg on the inside and it kind of rubs but its fine. I ran mine on the outside and split the plastic rod end within a few turns. That angle probably gives it more strain

Update:

I can’t get the axles off so I couldn’t get the tranny open fully. I was able to pry it open the lid enough to push some grease in. That made a HUGE difference.

While at it, I changed the stock pinion to a 9 or 10 tooth and that was a great change.

It was way too fast before. Now it’s much smoother and much more torque.

I’ll add a video soon.

Ps: I fixed my steering to inside the servo arm too. Just had to dremel some room for my ball end.

This build is on pause!

I got a Vaterra Ascender K10 1/10th and a flysky GT3C and a Hobbywing 1080 crawler ESC.

The GT3C and 1080 will go to the Ascender. And the spectrum stuff the ascender came with will go on the temper. It’s got drag brake, and some other options the temper all in one doesn’t.

To be continued...

Attachments

• 69BED3B9-9316-4499-9961-92C395BFB6B7.jpeg
    69BED3B9-9316-4499-9961-92C395BFB6B7.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16
  • D6539F03-2307-4505-B1D6-AD47162144A0.jpeg
    D6539F03-2307-4505-B1D6-AD47162144A0.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 15
  • E90D674A-098E-434C-A6B6-403F389FA20F.jpeg
    E90D674A-098E-434C-A6B6-403F389FA20F.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 15
Update! I built the Vaterra and LOVE IT. I would HIGHLY recommend one. I think they had the blazer on sale for 249! that's a STEAL!

I then bought a TF2. WHAT A LET DOWN OUT OF THE BOX! I got that one for 369 on sale (shop wanted it gone) and while its COOL. It sucks. No front suspension. The rear locks up. The steering linkage touches. The shocks touch the leafs. The hardware is crap metal that strips. While they have a lot of cool stuff. Out of the BOX is a HUGE let down.

I like it. Its fun. But for the money. Never again.

Now the real reason I came is to tell you all I GOT A UNIMOG body! My wife bought me the Tamiya one and it looks like i just need to extend the rear of my temper about 1".

What are you guys using to extend the rear? Is there a simple part(s) I can buy to do this quickly? Ive never actually extended or shortened my wheelbase before.

It has begun! Operation Unimog!

Attachments

• 0EBFA4F7-0D45-4EE0-ABA6-86E9AA732CDE.jpeg
    0EBFA4F7-0D45-4EE0-ABA6-86E9AA732CDE.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 9DF1EEB2-0396-4D40-BD18-0BC73BB1D13D.jpeg
    9DF1EEB2-0396-4D40-BD18-0BC73BB1D13D.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 9
That Vaterra looks really nice, I have to read up on that one. Still thinking about an extra crawler/scaler to run together with my son.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back