New Ruckus 2WD already needs new motor

MikeRC

I recently bought a 2WD Ruckus, first RC car in years, and ran it a few times on 2S lipo batteries. This morning I noticed the truck was sluggish and I could smell the motor "burning." After waiting a few hours I threw another battery in and went back out and the car wont move at all.

I am not an expert but I am guessing the motor is already shot? Pretty disappointing as I have ran less than 10 batteries through this truck.

So, what motor should I buy to replace it? I am pretty happy with the trucks stock performance and do not want to spend a ton of $$. Any good suggestions that will last longer and at a reasonable price? I don't mind ebay parts as long as they work.

Thank you and I look forward to being part of the community here.

I'd like to spend as little as possible but I would spend a few extra $$ for brushless if it's worth it (again not an expert on brushed vs brushless).

Most importantly I would like a reliable motor that doesn't have so much power it damages other components.

Forget about brushed motors IMHO (not worth it in the long run IMO) but if you want to try a different brushed motor try a 12t Titan 550. Grab a 3650 3100kv motor from wherever you want (Ebay, Amazon etc.) and at least a 45a esc from whatever brand you want or get a combo. Goolrc, Racerstar, Surpass and the like (look the same) are decent brushless motors but the escs are hit and miss, also don't trust the waterproof claims.

I have run 3650 3100kv and lower motors with plastic diffs just fine they can be geared higher to achieve more top speed and they don't consume alot of amps (don't need a real high amp esc or high c rated batteries) plus are more conservative on draining the batteries as fast as a higher kv motor would.

It does come down to how much your willing to invest $40 or less stay brushed but two burnt up brushed motors will put you close to a cheap brushless combo (Goolrc etc.). Whether the cheap combo is worth the risk is up to you but I have plenty of cheap stuff and the only failures I have had was one DOA esc and not waterproofing the cheaper escs.

Thanks for the advice. I am probably going to go ahead and put in a brushless based on your post. What do you think of the following combo?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...hash=item2f2d3d5fb8:m:mVP6cfj1JLlS-ZIeqap8_xA

Looks ok to me I would get a combo with a program card if I could or buy one separately also no way to program the cheaper escs without a program card. The program cards that look like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/SURPASS-HO...19635007&hash=item1cb1e16961:g:0KcAAOSwKb1bRW should work with all the cheaper brand escs (Ocday, Surpass, Goolrc etc.).

Here's the (similar) combo I have more experience with https://www.ebay.com/itm/3650-3100K...424866?hash=item5465751562:g:QpMAAOSwVYhb31xC the escs can easily be made water resistant.

Thanks! I ordered the program card and the combo you posted. Look forward to getting the truck on the road again!

Thanks! I ordered the program card and the combo you posted. Look forward to getting the truck on the road again!

That's good hope you enjoy the combo. I have/had a few of that style esc in 45a and 60a have worked well for me (YMMV). Just FYI use links as suggestions for reference buy from wherever you like for as cheap as you like. I prefer US shipping (I'm in the US) sellers if I can even if I have to pay a little more. When no location is given for people posting just random links can be given. Use a link given for reference find the cheapest (product price) or fastest shipping for wherever your located.

Hello there, not hijack a post at all but i was looking at a different combo and wanted to know if this setup would fit/work with the ruckus 2wd
https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...800kv-waterproof-esc-motor-combo-v-p-dyns0708
I do understand that upgrading the drivetrain will be needed just want to get some input on motor/esc combo
Thanks
It will work, but I think that is way too much horsepower for a 2wd truck. I would stick with something in the 3300KV-4000kv range. Keep in mind, it's a 6 pole motor, not a 4 Pole. Lots of torque and Power in that 4800 KV that will quickly break drivetrain Parts with a quickness.

If you went with a 3300 KV motor, you could always run it on 3s lipo if you wanted more speed. Either way, I would invest in the upgraded steel gear diff

It will work, but I think that is way too much horsepower for a 2wd truck. I would stick with something in the 3300KV-4000kv range. Keep in mind, it's a 6 pole motor, not a 4 Pole. Lots of torque and Power in that 4800 KV that will quickly break drivetrain Parts with a quickness.

If you went with a 3300 KV motor, you could always run it on 3s lipo if you wanted more speed. Either way, I would invest in the upgraded steel gear diff

Gotcha, thanks for the info I wanted to get some real speed but, I was afraid of too much hp to handle, what performance difference is there between a 4 pole or a 6 pole ( i believe its the points around the motor at which the energy from the winding pulses through the rotor. So a smaller motor with a 3s lipo might be the direction ill head. And how much does pinion/spur gear tooth changing change speed or torque

If you leave the stock 87t spur, going to a smaller pinion on the motor will give you more torque, but less top end speed. But if you go with a larger pinion, it will give you less torque but more top-end speed. You can't go with too big of a pinion as it will overheat the motor. You don't want to be over 160 degrees on the motor and no more than 130 on the ESC. Get a small infrared thermometer if you don't have one already to check motor and ESC Temps. If the motor gets too hot after 5 minutes of good bashing, you need to go down one or two teeth on the pinion.

If you leave the stock 87t spur, going to a smaller pinion on the motor will give you more torque, but less top end speed. But if you go with a larger pinion, it will give you less torque but more top-end speed. You can't go with too big of a pinion as it will overheat the motor. You don't want to be over 160 degrees on the motor and no more than 130 on the ESC. Get a small infrared thermometer if you don't have one already to check motor and ESC Temps. If the motor gets too hot after 5 minutes of good bashing, you need to go down one or two teeth on the pinion.

I'm running the stock gearing for the amp atm 18t 48p pinion 87t spur... It does get hot so I'm going to get a 13t 14t pinion to try as the stock can get hot over 30mins of bashing

This combo will get that truck scooting along quite nicely even on 2s lipo.
That's all I run my amp on is dynamite 2s it's a beast! I recently ordered some Traxxas 1/16 summit wheels on eBay for my losi mini 8ight db but for nice on the amp! ? they are nice! They grip well. Also added 11mm extension from banggood.com everything seems to run ok there just isn't a lot of thread for the nut to screw on so need to find longer bolt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back