New to RC - issues with older Ruckus

sixstringhook

Hey all. So, cutting to the chase, I was given an ECX 2wd Ruckus. The friend who gave it to me bought i think in 2014 or so, maybe 2015. He hadnt used it in several years, so he gave it to me. He didn't have any manuals or anything, so I am not sure of model # or anything like that. The only upgrade that he ever did to it was put a bigger motor in it, but I'm not sure what size it is, as I havent had it out yet. He did give me the original dynamite 15t motor that came on it. Here is the issue I am having with it.

It will not do reverse. I know it is capable of doing reverse, because I used it years ago when he first got it. I confirmed with him that at the time he put it away, reverse worked fine. I changed the switch settings on the radio controller and confirmed that when pushing the trigger forward, it does register it being used (though doing this just drives it forward). I hooked the original motor back up, just not to the gear and confirmed that it does not do reverse either.

There doesn't appear to be any kind of switches on the ESC other than the power. I believe this is the same ESC that is in it. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tazer-waterproof-esc-15t-12t-ecx-458649465

I have done some internet searching for similar problems, and people have said the ESC may need to be re-programmed, but, i have no idea how to do that with this ESC, as there doesn't appear to be any kind of switches or anything. Other research I have done points to the ESC may just be bad.

Thoughts? Does this ESC require a programmer seperate to what would have originally come with it? Is it programmed by plugging in to the radio controller some how?

If you do have the esc you referenced this is the manual https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DYN4925WP_Manual.pdf and the esc cannot be programmed.

Honestly, I would just a new esc, that esc is outdated and there are better options out there now.

I am assuming you're in the US here's some links to a couple
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dynami...364150&hash=item56c32e4972:g:DF4AAOSwVZ1coSuU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby...424542&hash=item467bd95f74:g:wQkAAOSwM2dd2ZY1

Thanks! I actually just used that first link you posted and bought that ESC. Looked it up and everywhere else its $40. At $26 after shipping, im willing to take a chance.

Yeah, the link I gave was from an R/C chop shop (kit breaker) they take new RTR (ready to run) R/Cs and part them out at discounted prices. A good cheaper way to get stock parts (electronics also).

OK. So I got the new ESC unit, and its still doing the same thing. Reverse does not work at all, and there really isnt any power. With a full charged battery, it goes about as fast as a $20 wal mart RC truck. So at this point, im thinking it may be an issue with the radio/radio controller? really isnt much left it could be, having used two different known working motors...any other suggestions?

Switch the motor wires and flip the throttle switch on the remote.
see if that speeds it up. If the polarity is reversed you may only be getting reverse.
don’t forget you will need to tell the ESC to go into the mode with reverse too unless it’s jumpers

What remote (transmitter) do you have and what are the settings? What are the jumpers on the esc set to? Is the battery fully charged? New or old nimh batteries? Do you have any way to check the voltage of the batteries?

My memory is a little hazy but I seem to recall a similar issue with my 2015 Ruckus.

On the stock ESC, there are two sets of jumpers. One for battery type (NiMH/LiPo) and one for the control type (Normal/Reverse).

I bought it off ebay (in mint condition), it arrived with the jumper in Rev position all worked fine with stock tx/rx so didn't change it.

When changing tx/rx, I put the jumper back to the Normal setting. For some reason, when sets to Normal, I could not drive in reverse. Only brake.

I set the jumper back to Rev mode on the stock ESC and switched the transmitter to Reverse mode. This seemed to resolve my issues.

I can see you've swapped ESC, but I thought I would chime in to say anyway, just in case it might help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back