pinion and spur issues

Machztechplus

I have a torment with a fuze 3800kv motor (still on nimh) and cannot make a spur gear last... The plastic ones strip... And my aluminum ones got all deformed and then stripped. Im am running a 17-24t 48p pinion and several 87t 48p spurs and I cannot get them to last.. I set the lash correctly (a thin piece of paper) and yet they still get messed up somehow... Any tips on how to get better life out of em? Is it better to go to a lower pitch? Any input is appreciated!

Im running a 3800 Kv goolRc motor ESC with a 25 T pinion and an 85 T spur at max mesh with motor mount location so i still have some adjustment space if needed but using max throttle rate and a 2 S LiPo I have yet to strip or ruin any gearing I also have a 87 T spur as a backup looking to get a few more 25 T for spares but also looking at doing a 32 P pinion gear to see what results I get

Hot Racing makes some steel spurs.

After stripping my last stock 48p spur on my Ruckus I moved to 32p gears. I use an Arrma AR310405 57t spur and AR310584 slipper pads with the stock slipper just have to make the center hole slightly bigger to fit. I can't use the spur gear cover now but have been fine running without it.

I'm not bragging, but I have yet to strip any stock gear, with normal driving, 2s packs and a brushless motor setup.
Do you happen to go full tilt from reverse to forwards, or vise versa, a lot?

After stripping my last stock 48p spur on my Ruckus I moved to 32p gears. I use an Arrma AR310405 57t spur and AR310584 slipper pads with the stock slipper just have to make the center hole slightly bigger to fit. I can't use the spur gear cover now but have been fine running without it.
Both my spur gears are the Hot Racing steel spur gears I'm only considering running the 32 P on the pinion gear due to selection at the LHS but want to give some of my business to them.

I'm not bragging, but I have yet to strip any stock gear, with normal driving, 2s packs and a brushless motor setup.
Do you happen to go full tilt from reverse to forwards, or vise versa, a lot?

No, I do not run hard... Right now im having problems with my esc and dont even have brake/reverse...

Yeah, Ive had those problems with the Hot Racing aluminum spurs... had to use a dremel to sand the out-put shaft down a little to get em to fit...

Me too. Here is what I use. Drill out the center of the spur a little to make it fit over the shaft. It doesn't have to be perfect. Then tighten down the slipper pads all the way and never worry about your slipper again.

1586271339309.png

Anyone have any link for a spur gear 32p maybe 56t and slipper pads in stock and work great?
Is everyone using the stock slipper clutch metal pieces??
I am using a Hobbywing 10t combo

Last edited:
Use eBay to source your parts. That’s where I get mine. And yes use your stock metal slipper clutch pieces with the slipper pads shown in the picture above and they work great.

The slipper is not showing up on ebay and says discounted?
How did you get it to stay on the back side of the spur when installing, with no adhesive

Get any slipper pad and cut to fit. I’ve even used the original ECX slipper pad with the team associated gears. The reason they work is because you tighten down the slipper all the way. Once you get 32p gears you don’t have to worry about setting the slipper right. You tighten them down all the way and it’s wheelie time and you will not strip the gears and the mesh doesn’t have to be so precise either.

All the way til snug or tight? Thanks
Also is the drilling the spur cause it to move when tightened down?

Last edited:
All the way snug and tight. And drilling the spur is to get it to fit over the shaft that it fits on. Just drill it enough to spin freely.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back