pinion and spur

mattyd4201taim

having an issue where the pinion gear screw keeps coming loose and the pinion gear keeps sliding down the motor shaft? even after using loctite on the tread? help? its been a little while since I messed around with it but I believe its a hot racing pinion

Is your pinion the standard 48p with the 1.5mm set screw?
If so there’s not a better favor for yourself than to get a really good quality hex driver. I’ve had the mip 1.5 mm hex driver for almost a year now it’s a chunk of cash for what it is but it’ll do the job well. Only stripped two heads with it but they were already rounded out from cheep drivers.

I’ve never had problems with 48pitch I had to replace a 3year old one that was worn out and was killing pinions from sand getting on it but it still worked. I wasnt very nice to that gear either. Yes it was plastic.

I think you should just stay with what ever you have laying around because it’s a lot easier to adjust a 48p set in my opinion especially when I’ve been accumulating them for a full racing season their nice to have. Try to keep your gear pitch the same throughout your cars, unless of course you have different scale vehicles or 4wd.

ok cool. and yea its 48p...read to try a 32p though what you think

A grub screw is a grub screw whether it's on a 48p or 32p pinion. 48p if you set you gear mesh right is fine. If your stripping spurs and can't get your mesh right go to 32p.

Traxxas 48p pinions are cheap and work well if you want to try another pinion and I don't even have to use thread lock but if you do make sure to remove any old thread lock before putting any new on especially if it looks crusty.

Make sure the flat spot on the motor’s shaft is in fact flat. If there’s a burr, the grub screw may give a false-tight feeling when securing, allowing the gear to walk around after some use. Came across this on an RC I bought as a parts vehicle a couple years ago. Filed it flat and my daughter still drives the truck, as-is to this day.

A grub screw is a grub screw whether it's on a 48p or 32p pinion. 48p if you set you gear mesh right is fine. If your stripping spurs and can't get your mesh right go to 32p.

Traxxas 48p pinions are cheap and work well if you want to try another pinion and I don't even have to use thread lock but if you do make sure to remove any old thread lock before putting any new on especially if it looks crusty.

nothing is stripping just the pinion come loose even with thread lock.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back