pinion change if ESC amps go up?

Joshnewb

almost stock ecx 2wd BL 1/10 ruckus (3300kv tazer)
if i go from 45A esc to 70A esc would that make engine run any hotter?
i have temp gun so i can check after few min...
just wondering if i should order some extra pinions when i order esc
running stock 24t now, have spare RR 22t around somewhere
and i'm assuming if it did run hotter from extra amps, i'd go down pinion teeth to cool motor?

thanks

Just because you have a higher amp esc does not mean all the amps it can supply will be pushed into the motor. The esc will supply only what the motor demands per given voltage more volts, more rpm, higher load means more amps and more heat.

As Heyits me said. Amps won't change. It will just mean your ESC will not run hot at all. You could go up teeth only your pinion, as your ESC will be able to deliver the amps without getting hot, but your motor will get warmer for sure if you do

To reiterate slightly, the only way going up in ESC amperage ratings will change things performance wise is if the existing ESC was not enough to support the motor.

Just a note:

Amps probably won’t make temps go up. voltage will, but volts increase the motor’s rpms and add heat due to resistance and tons of other variables.

Just a note:

Amps probably won’t make temps go up. voltage will, but volts increase the motor’s rpms and add heat due to resistance and tons of other variables.

Actually its the Power of the system and the systems resistance to that power that creates heat.
Power = Volts x Amps, or Power = Amps x resistance squared.
So all of the variables go towards creating heat

But the motor won't draw more than its resistance lets it according to Ohms Law
Amps= Volts / Resistance(in ohms). The resistance is a combination of the Batteries internal resistance + the ESc's internal Resistance + the motors resistance.
The Volts and Amps can be varied for a given power system, but the resistance of that system won't change unless you change either the ESC, the Motor or the batteries internal resistance. Higher C rated batteries have lower internal resistance therefore can deliver more amps when asked to by the ESC and Motor.

As you can see when you bump up the Volts you bump up the amps proportionally for a given resistance because
Volts=amps x resistance
ie 1V=1A x 1 ohm
2V=2Ax 1 ohm
3V=3Ax 1 ohm
The resistance stays the same but the batteries ability when you increase the voltage to push the amps through the system, increases the power and because Power= Volts x Amps the temperature goes up

Hope this helps

Last edited:
any and all input helps, i'm still learning a Lot in this hobby
and having fun as i go
appreciate all the help i have gotten

when i get the new esc i'll be certain to check temps first few runs
not increasing voltage, gonna use same battery
just looking to upgrade esc for now, then again, might just have to go for new motor esc combo :)

(if dollars are in surplus)

Actually its the Power of the system and the systems resistance to that power that creates heat.
Power = Volts x Amps, or Power = Amps x resistance squared.
So all of the variables go towards creating heat

But the motor won't draw more than its resistance lets it according to Ohms Law
Amps= Volts / Resistance(in ohms). The resistance is a combination of the Batteries internal resistance + the ESc's internal Resistance + the motors resistance.
The Volts and Amps can be varied for a given power system, but the resistance of that system won't change unless you change either the ESC, the Motor or the batteries internal resistance. Higher C rated batteries have lower internal resistance therefore can deliver more amps when asked to by the ESC and Motor.

As you can see when you bump up the Volts you bump up the amps proportionally for a given resistance because
Volts=amps x resistance
ie 1V=1A x 1 ohm
2V=2Ax 1 ohm
3V=3Ax 1 ohm
The resistance stays the same but the batteries ability, when you increase the voltage, to push the Voltage through the system increases the Amps and because Power= Volts x Amps the temperature goes up

Hope this helps

I’m just trying to keep it simple and it’s true that voltage in these systems will make them heat up more no matter what if there aren’t adjustments made.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back