Problem: Temper 1/18 transmission has a "catch"

i_r_beej

I just got my 1/18 Temper! Yay! The transmission has a "catch" or bind that causes the car to lurch at low speeds. Boo!

I removed the transmission from the frame and turned the drive shafts by hand and I can feel the catch in the transmission. It appears to be in the mesh between the top shaft gear and the idler. About every quarter turn it feels like there is a broken or malformed tooth (or debris) causing a momentary bind. But I can't actually see what's causing the problem. I can replicate the issue with the tranny disassembled and only the top shaft and idler installed.

I can't very well call Horizon because I originally applied a bit of grease (gears were dry) so I'm going to have to figure this out myself. Or just buy a new transmission assembly and hope I get a good one!

Anyone else experience this issue??

Well, I must say, Horizon Hobby has some excellent customer service. I got the car on a Tuesday, called them Thursday AM and received replacement parts yesterday (the following Monday).

Unfortunately they were parts for a 1/24 scale Temper! :) I called them back this AM and they said they'd send out a new transmission for a 1/18. No fuss, no bother!

Well, I must say, Horizon Hobby has some excellent customer service. I got the car on a Tuesday, called them Thursday AM and received replacement parts yesterday (the following Monday).

Unfortunately they were parts for a 1/24 scale Temper! :) I called them back this AM and they said they'd send out a new transmission for a 1/18. No fuss, no bother!

Not uncommon. :D Twice Horizon has sent me out the wrong parts.....haha I've started looking up the part before hand and then confirming the part numbers they are going to send out.

I just noticed that my first sentence might sound snarky. I really did mean that they provide good customer service. Mistakes happen and they took steps to remedy the situation right away. :)

I just noticed that my first sentence might sound snarky. I really did mean that they provide good customer service. Mistakes happen and they took steps to remedy the situation right away. :)

I understood you. ;) I agree 100% on the customer service.

HH sent me a new 1/18 scale transmission. When removing the original, I noticed that it had actually smoothed out quite a bit. I guess these transmissions just need some "run-in" time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back