Problems with Boom Racing steering rack.

Chris

Hello to everyone and a big thank you to you for the great resource that I have in reading these threads!
I recently purchased an aluminum (blue in colour ) steering rack from Boom Racing. I was excited to eliminate the "slop" in the torments' steering and it would look good too!
I was disappointed once it was installed as the "c ring" servo saver was so very loose. I brought it into my hobby shop and they were good with me. They removed the c clip and squeezed it together making it fit tighter . Once installed it felt good for about 4 mins and reverted back to the "slop" and lose play again. Although my ship has been good with me and I have no complaints with them I am disappointed that the only remedy to this problem seems to epoxy it or jb weld it ...
So, suddenly it's not going to look pretty any longer .
I don't want to return to plastic stock as that stinks as well .
My warning to anyone that thinks about this upgrade .
Boom Racing has certainly let me down!
Regards,
Chris

It doesn't look as cool, but the RPM servo saver eliminator is what you need :)

A modified Team Associated T4 steering rack supposedly also works, but I'm not sure how extensive this modification is.

Thank you !
I will look for one of those .
I need this fixed and glue isn't impressing me !
Regards,
Chris

I fixed the sloping servo safer with a 10 cent tool: cable ties. Just wrap it around the c-ring (as strong as you can) - that's it.

I cable tied it at first but it kept slipping off.

I strongly recommend against bothering with the Associated B4/T4 steering assembly "upgrade." It fits okay with some adjustment but it's really not much of an improvement for all the work that goes into the installation. The best option is to buy a metal-geared servo and RPM's excellent "Servo Saver Eliminator" steering assembly for ECX 2WD cars. If you're worried about a lack of servo saver function, you can just use a plastic servo arm on the metal-geared servo: this will the the sacrificial part and will likely fail under extreme, sudden loads, before the servo itself does. You can read about my experience with the Associate T4/B4 steering bellcrank experiment >here<

Last edited:
Ok, I just ordered a cheap RPM 73492 from USA via Ebay, I'll report my verdict when it's arrived in Austria (Europe).

If you wont renounce a servo safer, I bought this: Team Associated AE8445 - it's direct mounted on the servo, but you have to cut out a piece of the bottom cover with a Dremel. So I'll going to combine the AE8445 with the RPM 73492 plus a metal gear servo - just to be on the safe side.

I 2nd the RPM servo saver eliminator part. Not much else to say about it other than it really tightened up the steering for me.

Ok, just done the conversation with RPM 7349 & direct mounted servo safer & blue bird digital servo. 'Such a setup should be standard. No spongy steering anymore and works like a dream!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back