Rant: I've pretty much had it with this LHS

i_r_beej

Sorry, this is a lengthy rant.

A couple of months ago, before I got my Boost, I started visiting every LHS I could find to see cars, talk to people, get a feel for the current RC scene. I discovered on just a few minutes from my office so I was pretty excited about that. Imagine the possibilities! Lunch-time visits to peruse a wall of parts, add-ons, and hop-ups! Wow!

My first time there I'm greeted by a clerk; "Can I help you?" I mention that I'm looking to get into RC cars and stopped in to see what they had. She immediately points me to a small stack of Dromida RTRs by the counter. I can't believe that can be ALL they have. She beckons over "the RC car guy" and repeats my story.

He asks me what I'm looking to get and I tell him I'm not even sure yet since I don't have a car and I'm re-entering RC and I don't even really have a good idea of the potential expense. The Car Guy then gives me a brief overview: "...and cheap cars start about $150 RTR." I'm feeling that this conversation is seriously lacking any enthusiasm and is probably academic since I don't see anything other than a $118 Dromida truck-thing and a couple that shoot NERF darts.

So I thank they both for their time and leave. As I walk past the front of the store and stop to admire the large train layout in the front window. And guess what? In the back corner of the store, partially obscured by the aisles, IS THE CAR SECTION. Never once did either of the clerks say "Hey, new to RC? Thinking about buying? Well... let me show you our selection of RTRs, kits, and wall of parts!"

What the heck, LHS.

Not one to really hold a grudge, I've been back several times looking for various bits and pieces. Only once did they have what I was after-- a pack of balance charging leads. And once, the Car Guy seemed actually alive and enthusiastic in helping me find some turnbuckles. (No dice, that time.)

On what will likely be my final visit, today I go in during my lunch break looking for a tool. Once again the Car Guy is summoned. He listens to my explanation that none of my tools fit properly and thinks it odd. I even show him the part that needs the tool and he takes it and disappears for a few minutes. He comes back and explains that most likely the tool I'm using at home is defective or worn. He leaves it at that and I thank him for taking time to diagnose the problem and close by saying that "I guess I'll have to go buy a new hex key."

Car Guy wanders off and I take a few minutes to browse the car bits and roam around the store. Just as I'm ready to leave I notice that there is a selection of tools hanging on the wall behind the cash register. I see Bondhus hex key sets. I almost open my mouth to request the set of tools when I remember that NO MENTION was made that tools to suit my need were available to purchase.

WHAT. THE. HECK. I mean seriously, WTF.

So fine. I'll stop at the other LHS on my way home and buy there. Sorry to break up with you near-the-office LHS; it's not me, it's you.

Jeez. An hour later and I'm still really annoyed.

All hobby stores have a "specialty". From what it sounds like, cars( or even rc) isn't their specialty. Find a store that has a good amount of cars, parts, and tools. You cant go to a hobby train store expecting them to have a good selection of cars/parts.

As far as costumer service, unfortunately you will find alot of stores that are lacking.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hope you find a store that you like :D

Not terribly uncommon. As with many "enthusiast" communities, alot of people can be elitist. Best to leave those people by the way side and find people that share your enthusiasm and desire to help.

Like this ECX forum!! :cool::D

Yeah, I stopped by another LHS on the way home. Got some good advice and spent some money. Went back again today and spent some more money!

The primary reason for my stop was that I had recently purchased a Robinson pinion gear and didn't know that the grub screw uses a 1/16" hex fitting. All my tools are metric. So I was stymied. I took it to the Shop That Shall Not Be Named and asked if they had a tool that would fit. The Shop Guy used a 1.5mm hex key and, as at home, it worked and he suggested that my hex key might be worn so that it was slipping. Seemed plausible at the time as the 1.5mm key *just about* fit but would slip under pressure. It's actually a good thing I DIDN'T buy any tools at that shop because they would have been metric!

Stopping at the other shop on the way home the guy helping me IMMEDIATELY told me that all Robinson pinions for 1/8" motor shafts used a 1/16" grub screw and pointed me to the right tools.

I wound up buying a 1/16" hex key, a 23T Robinson pinion, some shock springs to experiment with, a Du-Bro "Klip Keeper" and some other stuff I can't remember. :)

For tools and hardware, i usually go to my other lhs, my local hardware store ;) but to each his own.

Good choice on the du-bro klip retainers, btw. They are awesome. A little hard to install, but sooooooo worth it.

I looked at "real" tools first but couldn't find an individual 1/16 hex key. Didn't want to buy a set, either, because I'd be stuck with a bunch of SAE sizes I'd never use. And I didn't want to sell them on Ebay. So... hobby shop tool hunting. :)

Agreed about the Du-Bro clip retainers. Best thing since sliced bread! (I used to make my own by tying pairs of clips together but I DO like the "fashion colors" of the Du-Bro retainers!)

It can be hit or miss. I bought my Amp at a store which is all about planes, and the car section is an afterthought. They don't have many spare parts. It also took them three weeks to have another amp after I bought it, and I don't think they have more than one of each model. They must hardly be selling any. The employees are plenty friendly though.

Later I found a shop with a huge assortment of cars including losi, hpi, arrma, ecx, vatterra. Both nitro and electric. Not sure if they have traxxas now that I think about it. The first time I was there, no one really cared I was wandering around. The second time, the RC car guy was there and he struck up a conversation. He was ready to sell me an Arrma Kraton. He also said they have most of the spare parts in stock, and they keep one box of every model they sell in a back room so that they can harvest parts off it for emergencies. That's pretty nice!​

Well im quite built, skinhead with goatee and covered in tatts. Im in law enforcement and hate violence but when i go into a hobby store in my singlet, unshaven on my days off i guess they think im going to rob them as i never get any help. :D

Well im quite built, skinhead with goatee and covered in tatts. Im in law enforcement and hate violence but when i go into a hobby store in my singlet, unshaven on my days off i guess they think im going to rob them as i never get any help. :D

lmao, dem skinny hobby store nerds be like aww shiet I ain't here

If only they know.. we'd probably have a lot to talk about.. I may look like a thug (and it does have its perks), but i built my PCs from the ground up, paint in watercolours (and tattoo as well), love my xbox one, and have a collection of transformers, and now RCs.

If only they know.. we'd probably have a lot to talk about.. I may look like a thug (and it does have its perks), but i built my PCs from the ground up, paint in watercolours (and tattoo as well), love my xbox one, and have a collection of transformers, and now RCs.

You and I have a few things in common. Looks included. We should really start an "other" collections thread on this site. I have several like my transformers that would be fun to share.

Ill be in that.... as long as we get to hoist a scotch at the end to all the G1 toys we had in the 80s forever lost to sandpits and garage sales that would be collectors items now.... the Mrs just doesn't understand my pain...

mmmmm scotch..... Yes please! I feel you on the stupid decisions leading to the loss of toys. I sold all my original ninja turtles toys at a garage sale. Luckily, I kept all of my transformers, hot wheels/ matchbox cars, micro machines and legos.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back