Recommendations for decent, inexpensive, digital MG servos?

i_r_beej

Requirements: Decent (not junk), inexpensive (around US$20 each, or less?), metal geared, and DIGITAL.

I want to upgrade the two steering servos in my Temper so I'm definitely NOT dropping US$100 or more on a pair of servos. :)

What are you using that meets the above specs? Pricing?

Thanks.

I heard decent things about the MG996R...decided to give it a shot. The horns it comes with are absolute rubbish. Snapped one on the first run and switched to aluminium. Aside from that, ive been pretty impressed considering the price. Its taken a few hits and still going strong. Not waterproof though so may not be suitable for a crawler.

I made an impulse buy on a used K10 Vaterra at the track Sunday. These things are fun!
It’s set up with a floating battery tray that sits over the front axle, but only fits shorty packs. I’m gonna do a little mod to accept a full size stick pack and keep it floating. Can’t wait for better weather.

I second the MG996R if your looking for a cheap option, its great for the price. Or ya know, you can go on amazon and check out any metal geared digital servo, theres a ton under 20.

Or ya know, you can go on amazon and check out any metal geared digital servo, theres a ton under 20.
You are correct. Which is where I started and it's precisely why I thought I'd ask for personal recommendations and what people were using. :)

Not every servo under US$20 is worth the money.

Alright... so I've got a pair of TowerPro MG996Rs headed my way. Thanks for the recommendations, guys! Cheers!

I have a Prime RC pmq1023 and it works wonders! Got it for around $25!

I got a couple of these: TowerPro MG996R
Metal gear train, digital, 10kg torque, (slow-ish) .20 sec 60-deg transit. But only US$6.08 a piece from HobbyKing! (The West coast US warehouse is 10 mins from my house so I saved on shipping.) I stopped by a LHS and grabbed a pair of Vanquish 25T clamping servo arms (that, hilariously, cost twice what the servos did!). The Temper comes with a relatively short (20mm) servo arm in its stock configuration and it was tough finding a decent replacement arm.

Got the servos installed and set up a new profile on my radio. I don't know if it's the radio, receiver, or the servos but when I rapidly and repeatedly turn the steering wheel on my radio the servos seem to get "confused" and start turning in the opposite directions. Under normal driving conditions this never happens so it's a non-issue. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the servos as they seem to have sufficient torque for this little car and are faster than the stock servos.

Now, though, the plastic spindle carriers are the weak link and flex significantly when I'm driving in the rocks! It's always something.

Last edited:
Have you thought of TrackStar or Turnigy? Or has anyone used this brand?

I am trying this out this year, but running ALL electronics from hobbyking .

I have a couple of Turnigy 1258TG servos and really like them. Unfortunately HK doesn't seem to sell them any more! I did get the MG996R servos from HobbyKing (looks like I left that out of my comment).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back