Rookie needs Radio Help

NotJoe

Hello,
I bought a second hand Ruckus without a radio. The receiver is a Spektrum SR201. Can I buy any Spektrum radio to bind with it? Or does it have to be a specific model? Or will I have to buy a new radio & receiver set?

First: Spektrum sells two types of radio gear: FHSS and DSMR. The FHSS stuff is cheaper and is generally included with less expensive RTR kits.

The SR201 is an older receiver using Spektrum's "DSM" protocol. DSM was followed by DSM2, DSMX, and DSMR. Documentation for newer transmitters (from the past few years) are DSMR and DSM2 compatible but the documentation for the DX2E V3 (SPM2322) claims backwards compatibility with DSM. The current model of the DX2E is the SPM2335 and it makes no mention of DSM compatibility so unfortunately it's tough to tell which DX2E radio you might find if you look for used equipment.

Fortunately the new Spektrum DX2E ships bundled with a SR310 receiver for US$70.

You can also head to Ebay and look for an older Spektrum transmitter like the DX2S or DX3E (these models are easily identified by their gray housing and folding antennna) but the prices I've seen are about the same as buying a new DX2E transmitter! Or more!

First: Spektrum sells two types of radio gear: FHSS and DSMR. The FHSS stuff is cheaper and is generally included with less expensive RTR kits.

The SR201 is an older receiver using Spektrum's "DSM" protocol. DSM was followed by DSM2, DSMX, and DSMR. Documentation for newer transmitters (from the past few years) are DSMR and DSM2 compatible but the documentation for the DX2E V3 (SPM2322) claims backwards compatibility with DSM. The current model of the DX2E is the SPM2335 and it makes no mention of DSM compatibility so unfortunately it's tough to tell which DX2E radio you might find if you look for used equipment.

Fortunately the new Spektrum DX2E ships bundled with a SR310 receiver for US$70.

You can also head to Ebay and look for an older Spektrum transmitter like the DX2S or DX3E (these models are easily identified by their gray housing and folding antennna) but the prices I've seen are about the same as buying a new DX2E transmitter! Or more!

Thanks Very much. Picked up a transmitter and receiver. Now I just have to figure out how to get the old receiver out!

I picked up this set. I don't see a bind button or a port labeled "Bind". There's a small hole that says "Failsafe enable" and "Aux, Ch1, Ch2, Ch3" ports and a port on the top. How do I go about binding it or is automatically bound to only this transmitter?
IMG_20190626_205639.jpgIMG_20190626_205549.jpgIMG_20190626_205534.jpgIMG_20190626_205624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_205600.jpg
    IMG_20190626_205600.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Back