Rustler 4x4 VXL shocks on Amp

vmabuck

Anyone ever try these? Are they the same length as the "big bore?"

They look to be about 101mm and about 88mm...

I believe you are referring to the dark gray aluminum Traxxas "Big Bore" shocks (which really aren't "big bore"). I used the Traxxas 5862 Big Bore set on my AMP MT with Losi springs. The ECX springs also fit. I found the "dual rate" springs that are included in the 5862 set to be too stiff for the AMP and that was why I switched to the Losi and ECX springs. Side note: the 5862 set is comprised of the 2661 XLong and 2662 XXLong Big Bore shocks (those individual part numbers do not include springs). Unfortunately Losi springs are long discontinued and a bit difficult to find-- check the dusty section of your local shop, EBay, Amazon marketplace, etc.

Ultimately I switched back to the ECX aluminum shocks as I found them to be better performers on the AMP than the Traxxas shocks. I think one factor affecting their performance was the fact that the Traxxas caps do NOT have captured spherical pivots like the ECX shocks and thus would bind slightly during compression. This led to my truck "hopping" upon landing from jumps and an overall excessive bounciness.

I created a thread a while ago detailing the work I performed on my AMP MT to convert it to the Circuit ST for racing. Here's a >post< about the shocks.

Traxxas Big Bore shock lengths (eylet C-to-C):
2660 Long 83mm
2661 XLong 93mm
2662 XXLong 100mm

Last edited:
I did read that thread.

I need to try something. I have changed the oil to 45wt (I heard this suggested but I also heard 25wt suggested), tried to let the springs out a little, added a little weight but it is still entirely to bouncy. I'll look into the ECX shocks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back