Sell me on the Torment

bisbell

I'm a huge fan of ECX! Horizon Hobby and ECX have created/fueled my obsession with RC vehicles! I love that that ECX offers a little bit of everything! Started with the 1/18 ruckus, then Temper, Barrage, now AMP MT kit. So tell me...is the Torment a solid vehicle?? Is the 4WD worth the extra cost? Give me your opinions, your thoughts, your upgrades! I've got an itch for a new vehicle!!

Not sure about the 4wd model but we have the 2wd Torment. My opinion....get brushless with upgraded metal trans gears, and then replace the axles with hot racing. that's we we did and I wish I bought it that way. My 2wd had a uncanny ability to break the plastic trans outdrive cups...which is why we upgraded to metal hot racing axles.
We bash on ours pretty good with my 9yr old and the front axle block screws come loose...so check them often and I suggest locktight on them. The next upgrade I make will be the servo saver eliminator kit. The steering has a lot of play in it so when you back up it will flip back and forth like a fish....the eliminator kit is susposed to help that.
This was our first RC and it hasn't been the best experience...learning curve I guess. If I had to do it again I would look hard at the HPI jumpshot SCT or Losi ready lift. as they are about the same price...or better yet get a brushless system out of the gate and save the down time from brushed motors burning up.

I have a brushless 2wd with a proline f150 body. Torment has a really high center of gravity. There is an aftermarket kit available to take an amp chassis and extend it and bolt on the torment hardware to make a more stable rig

Torment is a really great beginner truck. If you want something a little taller, go for the ruckus. They share everything except for the shell and tires (exact same car).

Very durable and upgradeable...except if you go to a 3s. The 3s breaks a lot of parts though, which makes it not 3s friendly. It can be made to survive 3s batteries but it will cost you.

I have both a 2wd brushed torment (which I changed over to a brushless ruckus) and 4wd brushless ruckus. The 2wd is far more upgradeable and is far faster than the 4wd with same motor (3300kv). the 4wd is slower and more controllable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back