Servo melting

beer nuts

New AMP, servo melted on side wires go in.

why?

is this common?

what is a better upgrade than stock?

Sounds like an internal short, should be warranty if you still have it/ want a stock replacement.

I went with a 20kg metal gear servo, it was $20 from amazon and it’s a lot better than the one it came with.

Unhook steering and shocks and ensure everything moves freely. Back off any screws that are too tight and causing binding. Suspension or steering binding can burn out a servo.

Also make sure you calibrate your transmitter and ESC. Turn down your steering dual rate to ensure you are not having the servo trying to turn the steering farther than it can go.

Returned it store. Esc was playing up, shorted servo. Will be fixed under warranty.

Leaves thinking should just upgrade electrics?

I have now melted another servo in another truck. The hobby store guy told me that if you hold the steering too far to one side it will over heat the plastic gearing.

So having already had a servo melt caused by faulty esc on another truck, i have tested esc and servo to find esc is faulty.

i know the electrics are bad...

what to upgrade with?

Have you adjusted the steering dual rate on the transmitter while the front wheels are off the ground?

Yes.

Even with d/r not set, will that cause servo to melt and esc to stop steering from working.

truck still moves forward and backwards.

replacement servo does work with the esc.

this has now happened on two different trucks.

Yes.

Even with d/r not set, will that cause servo to melt and esc to stop steering from working.

truck still moves forward and backwards.

replacement servo does work with the esc.

this has now happened on two different trucks.
I suspect you have your dual rate set too high and when you turn full left or right you are trying to force the servo to push the steering farther than it can go. It is either that or binding. Servos don’t just melt from the 6v 3a current from the ESC. When you turn full right or full left and hold it, does your servo make any noise?

Take the body off and sit the truck on a smooth flat surface turned on and ready to go. Turn your dual rate down to 50%. Slowly turn full left and the full right Making note of maximum turn angle. Turn your dual rate up a bit and do it again. Repeat until you don’t get any more turn angle and then back down a little. One side will always bind or stop before the other so set it to the tighter side. Your dual rate should be set so that you do not go beyond maximum turn for whichever side hits that limit first.

Head to Banggood.com and order KS-3518 servos. Metal gears, fast and powerful. Also really cheap. I run one in my Amp MT. You won’t melt that, it will break your steering first if you don’t set the dual rate properl.

I suspect you have your dual rate set too high and when you turn full left or right you are trying to force the servo to push the steering farther than it can go. It is either that or binding. Servos don’t just melt from the 6v 3a current from the ESC. When you turn full right or full left and hold it, does your servo make any noise?

Take the body off and sit the truck on a smooth flat surface turned on and ready to go. Turn your dual rate down to 50%. Slowly turn full left and the full right Making note of maximum turn angle. Turn your dual rate up a bit and do it again. Repeat until you don’t get any more turn angle and then back down a little. One side will always bind or stop before the other so set it to the tighter side. Your dual rate should be set so that you do not go beyond maximum turn for whichever side hits that limit first.

Head to Banggood.com and order KS-3518 servos. Metal gears, fast and powerful. Also really cheap. I run one in my Amp MT. You won’t melt that, it will break your steering first if you don’t set the dual rate properl.
Pretty sure the stock esc is 5v.

Latest posts

Members online

Back